Cort Artisan (A4, B4, C4) plus basses, what is the difference ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mzprx, Feb 18, 2020.

1. mzprx

mzprx

Feb 18, 2020
    Europe
    Hi,
    When I'm looking at Cort Artisan basses Cort A4 plus, B4 plus, C4 plus I'm confused why the price is so different. The specification looks very similar. I'm begginer, so most likely I'm missing something.
    Thanks you for your ideas.

2. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I don't have an answer, but that's a good question

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
  4. mzprx

mzprx

Feb 18, 2020
    Europe
    The electronic is the same. The difference is in some mechanical parts, but mainly in construction and used materials.
    What I'm asking is:
    Is the sound of A4 objectively better (not in the meaning of individual taste), than the sound of B4 or C4 or it is just different ?
    Are the neck-thru construction and used materials more expensive ? Are they better ?

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    The only way to know is to find a dealer that stocks them and play them. Your profile doesn't say, but I'm guessing you're not in the U.S., so playing these basses might be difficult. Have you checked YouTube for video reviews?

6. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I suppose I can help. I have Artisan A5 plus, B5 AS RM and C5 plus basses.

* All have Bartolini MK1 pickups.
    * The B5 AS RM and C5 both have Markbass preamps.
    * The A5 has a Bartolini preamp.
    * The A5 is a neck-thru and the B5 and C5 are both bolt-on.
    * The A5 and B5 have Hipshot tuners.
    * The A5 also has a hipshot bridge.
    * The B5 and C5 both have Cort high mass bridges.
    * The C5 has generic tuners, but they are very good.

7. mzprx

mzprx

Feb 18, 2020
    Europe
    Then you are the person I'm looking for. Is the A5 sound better then sound of other two basses? Or the quality difference is insignificant, but they just sound differently ?

8. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Well, the A5 is the only one of the 3 that does NOT have a Markbass preamp. It does sound a bit different. For that matter, all 3 seem to have their own voice even if they are all quite similar sounding/playing. I think the A5 sounds pretty similar to my Lakland 44-01, probably because the electronics are exactly the same.

As for the quality, all 3 are excellent. They are all quite comparable. Sure, the A5 and B5 have fancier finishes and tuners, but the C5 has exotic woods and excellent hardware as well. They all arrived perfectly setup and ready to gig. The action on these is the lowest of my 14 basses.

For the A5 you're paying extra for
    - 5 piece neck
    - Neck-thru
    - hipshot tuners
    - hipshot bridge

For the B5 you're paying extra for
    - 5 piece neck
    - Markbass preamp
    - roasted maple fingerboard
    - hipshot tuners

9. mzprx

mzprx

Feb 18, 2020
    Europe
    tubatodd: Thank you very much, it was very helpful.

moe.moe likes this.
  10. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    No problem. Let us know what you decide to purchase. If you are in the US, I highly recommend the Reverb Seller "Wire Meets Wood" for Cort purchases. I've ordered 4 Cort basses thru them and they were fantastic and accepted my reasonable offers.

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Skip the C, go with B or A.

C has same one piece maple neck and tuning machines use on low price Action bass .

The B also available in Roasted neck.

Cort Artisan bass has serious punchy tone.
    Both pickups placement more forward to bridge side compare to Ibanez SR bass.
    The good thing is better B string clarity on 5 string model, but the D and G sound thin to my ear.

I own B5 previously, but I play Cort Action Dlx V currently. This cheap 5 string has warmer and thicker tone even both pup close to bridge side. The B string sound better than same price range bass like Squier Affinity J5 , VM 70J V and ibby GSR 205.

Even Cort are Great value of money(Hipshot tuner, Bart mk1, adjustable bridge saddle, preamp with passive/active , nice looking natural swamp ash body..... ), but I highly recommend you Yamaha TRBX304/305. Pretty close QC but I prefer Yamaha tone ~ wide range of nice bass sound.

dramatwist likes this.
  12. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Man, ya gotta love TB! :thumbsup:

Peter Torning and JohnJenkins like this.
  13. tubatodd

tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I've owned a TRBX305 and I prefer my Corts to the Yamaha. The Yamaha had a more vanilla sound.

Sure the A5 and B5 are a step above the C5 but don't sleep on the C-series. They are an exceptional value. Tremendous basses for the money.

14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    C4/C5 is nice, but the neck are not as stable as B and A neck. My local seller also recommend B and A rather C, since they get lot neck issue from buyer.
    My current Action dlx v neck has neck stable issue , include my previous Cort Arona 4, but still better than Ibanez SR300 which has banana neck even small amount temperature/humidity change.
    Both my Squier CVP and Sub ray 4 neck are solid and stable.

15. mzprx

mzprx

Feb 18, 2020
    Europe
    Very nice discussion, thank you.
    I have some options to buy a used Artisan bass.
    1. 4-year-old Cort A4 plus FMMH. It was used by a girl/young woman. Few cosmetic scratches on the backside and completely removed color above bridge pickup, where she puts her thumb when she plays. Sounds ok on the video. The price is 340 USD.
    2. 2-year-old Cort B4 plus MH. Rarely used. Sounds OK on the video. The price is 300 USD.
    3. 1-year-old Cort C4 plus ZBMH. Like a new one. Sounds OK. The price is 280 USD.
    What would you prefer?

16. allintime

allintime

Apr 10, 2018
    Virginia
    I have a 2 year old cort B4 plus MH. Sounds fantastic. Awesome, full tone and very versatile. It's my gigging bass for a 90s cover band. Only complaint is that when I go hard I've scratched into the finish above the E string. See the picture. Still a beautiful bass if you like the natural dark wood color.

Attached Files:

17. Meaculpa

Meaculpa

May 18, 2019
    I recently purchased a Cort C6...never player another bass since...it's great!!!!

18. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Cort, Fernandes and Tokai are generally overlooked instruments, but the quality of all three are outstanding.

Meaculpa likes this.
  19. jghacker

jghacker

Aug 4, 2019
    While not an Artisan, the 2019 Cort GB74 Gig I purchased in November is an incredible instrument. My first Cort and zero regrets. Cort GB74 Gig | GB Series Electric Bass

Now I am on the market for a Cort 6 string , hence coming across this thread.

Meaculpa likes this.
  20. 13monkees

13monkees

Aug 27, 2017
    OBX, NC
    Thanks for this! I just bought a B4 AS RM. They stopped making them so they are sending me the new B4 Element, which is essentially the same guitar only with a mahogany body/ash top, Bartonlini Pre-amp, and a Metal Craft M4 bridge. I really can’t believe the specs on the Cort products at this price point.