Cort Artisan fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I saw one of these on CL. It looked really cool.

So to me they basically looked like an fretless Ibanez SR500. Which is awesome, I wish ibanez offered one. But how do the necks compare? etc

Anybody own one?

Thx

2. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I don't own one but did a set up on 6 string fretted a friend picked up a few months ago. It was made of maple and a taste on the heavy side, even for a six. I had it for several days and was impressed with the overall feel and sound of the instrument. Workmanship was excellent also. It was a really good axe, especially for the price he paid.

I can't compare the neck to an Ibanez SR500. Haven't played one.

mech

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Anybody else?

Thanks

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    If you do a search, you'll see a number of people who swear by the Artisan. I'm going to be in the market for a fretless in the next year or so, and it's a definite possibility.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I spent a few hours on one with Labella flats, was a truly fantastic bass, came very close to buying it, if it were a five string, there would have been no question of it entering my collection.

How does it compare to a Ibanez SR500, no clue, sadly.

6. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    They play really nicely. If I recall, the neck was a bit chunkier than a soundgear... a bit more like a flatter Jazz neck. I do know I wanted to buy the one I played, but I waited a day and it was gone. This was a few years back, but that's what I seem to remember.

7. MosGuy

MosGuy Keep it low and thumping..

Dec 26, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's been a few years since I've tried a Ibanez. I do have an Artisan 4 fretless. The newer model with Ash body, older ones had mahogany. I find it a great bass to play and tone wise, the wedge neck is extremely nice. From memory the neck may be slightly wider, but not by much. It reminds me of a jazz neck, as it's pretty thin at the nut. Overall quality and workmanship are excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

@Darkstrike: They used to have a 5 string model. I've seen a few pop up for sale from time to time.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup, but one has never popped up at the same time that I has spare cash for a bass. :meh:

9. These play really nice, all cort basses tend to. They're similar to the Ibanez ones, but a fretless version, isn't this because Cort make these Ibanez guitars?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021