Cort Gene Simmons Punisher Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pudgychef, Mar 1, 2017.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I may need a bass to play Gene in a KISS project that looks like it has quickly expanded from a one off.

I hope we can keep this from being a Gene hating thread....would like to focus on the Punisher or other bass options you would consider if you were getting hired to be in a KISS tribute show. (If you would never lower yourself to such a thing, please move on...we get it)

I have always liked the Punisher best of his post Gibson basses. A few searches haven't turned up any used ones (other than a couple of the old, neck thru models).

Anyone on TB have one? Anyone seen one anywhere for sale recently?

I have seen a knock-off of the Cort version here...no Cort on the headstock, clearly not the Mighty Mite PUs...so I worry it would be less than stable hardware wise..(I know...who knocks off a Cort...but it exists)

Obviously the Mighty Mites are nothing special...just a note of it not being a legit licensed by Cort model.

When it was going to be a one-off...I was planning on using my black and maple Ibby RKB900 PJ...now sounds like it will be at least 6 shows 3 here in China, 2 in Seoul, 1 in Pusan with maybe a BK run...

Any reviews? Tips? Suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Eli_Kyiv and Guitarsrmine like this.
  2. The Gene Simmons Cort Basses are becoming rare nowadays and for this reason I have bought the Punisher and the Axe, last year, in my country. I like very much these Basses and in my opinion the Might Mites Pick ups do a decent job. The Punisher is more rare than the Axe, but if you find an Axe, don't hesitate: pull the trigger! Both Basses suffer the neck dive problem, which is very easy to solve. And believe me, the Axe is more balanced than the Punisher, the Neck dive is less severe. The Gene Simmons Cort Basses are the cheapest option.

rickwebb, byoung93888 and pudgychef like this.
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    We (Italy) used to come across many punishers over here, 'cause BackLine (our local Cort distributor) is really of the fast and smart operatin' ones, yet, stickin' to the point, I really think a mid '90s (or even contemporary Arch Enemy/Spiritual Beggars Sharlee D'Angelo signature) Ibanez Iceman would easily get the trick done for ya!

Cheers,
    Wallace

Squittolo and pudgychef like this.
  4. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I tend to identify the 70's era Kiss more with the Gibson "Ripper" bass. I haven't searched but it seems I see them available here and other places semi-regularly. Good luck with the gig. Sounds like great fun.

5. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    Never played any of them, but for looks, especially if I was in your situation, I would also prefer the Punisher. And that sounds like an awesome opportunity. Good Luck!

pudgychef likes this.
  6. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ********

Dec 22, 2016
    going with the Ripper might get you more cred from musicians and KISS diehards...plus, it's a hell of a step up from the Corts
    ShockmeGene.jpg

...AND you can play it in situations that don't involve spitting up blood. For example, that Faith No More tribute band you've also been contemplating (don't tell me you haven't)

7. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly
    Gene played the Gibson grabber in the early days......easiest way to tell right away is the ..Flying Vee headstock....Rippers have the Lespaul looking headstock..

8. Pirate Captain

Dec 22, 2016
    your right! it is a grabber! (anyway...I'd still go with one of those)

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Congratulations @pudgychef! That'll be a fun series of shows.
    Finding anything in Communist China that isn't a counterfeit has got to be daunting. I'd go with the Axe as that is the most visually striking and well known KIZZ icon to fans as much as the Hofner is to Paul McCartney. Good Hunting!

pudgychef likes this.
  10. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Thank-you for the replies.

I agree 100% I would love to have a Grabber or Ripper, the 70s Gene bass....heck I want one KISS project aside...but they are very rare over here (like $3000+) BUT there was an Epiphone version a few years back (might be PJ...but begging/choosing it would work..)

I will keep hunting and update on how it goes...

Also - significant exercise uptake...have to fit in to that outfit in three months! Ha...nobody wants a barrel bellied Gene.. :)

11. Got a GS-2 Punisher myself. It's a decent bass- bolt-on neck, etc.
    People definitely connect it with Gene Simmons when they see it.

pudgychef likes this.
  12. I've also seen photos of Gene playing a Thunderbird, though I don't know what years/era. Just a thought.

rickwebb and pudgychef like this.
  13. Pirate Captain

Dec 22, 2016
    Didn't notice the location. What about a Matsumoku Grabber? there's an Aria on sale on eBay in your price range that says "worldwide shipping"...I'd stack one of those up against the real deal any day.

14. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Oh cool!!! I just saw that you are in China!! Rock & Roll truly knows no boundaries. That will be a fun show and I will look forward to updates from the "tour".

Simon Fretless and pudgychef like this.
  15. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Nice find. That would do the job if he can get it.

16. pudgychef likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    He'd have to paint it black, though. Can't do KISS without it being black.

18. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Any black PJ bass with gene's face on it will do. lol. active J neck emg. no P bass dialed in. play with a pick. put a bridge guard cover on it to complete the look

Simon Fretless likes this.
  19. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    That would be a nice bass I bet! I like that era MIJ stuff - thanks for the link.

Pirate Captain likes this.
  20. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Its funny - the last tribute act I was in that did shows like this here in Asia was a Grateful Dead Band based out of Seoul from 2006-2008 - they actually recently re-launched as the band leader moved back to Seoul...

Where I am (Chongqing..tiny little city of 30million) live music in the form of bands and pop is still relatively in its infancy...decades behind Beijing or Shanghai as the city was one of the last to open...have played some decent places here...but some of the clubs are still trying to figure out what they are.

Eli_Kyiv, RedVee and Aberdumbie like this.