1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could my Zoom B3 have blown my Peavey head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coffeewood, Feb 16, 2013.

1. coffeewood

coffeewood

Mar 29, 2011
    My Peavey Tour 450 died at practice last night. I was just messing around before we started and slapped the low E and the amp lost power. We pulled out the fuse and since we didn't have another, used tin foil just to check if the fuse had blown (couldn't tell by looking at it since it's covered in white) and the amp immediately started smoking.

I recently started using a Zoom B3. After the amp blew, we tried the DI on the B3 into the PA and it was very "hissy". Could it be possible that the B3 may have given too much to the head and caused it to die?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I know nothing about electronics? Thanks!

2. Is not the point now. You blew the amp by tin foiling the fuse. Fuses are there for a reason - to protect the amp.

3. coffeewood

coffeewood

Mar 29, 2011
    Well something blew the fuse first. Just trying to rule out the B3 since I just started using it.

4. The B3 had very little to do with it. Just coincidence. What is important is you have done more serious damage by "tin-foilling" the fuse. Your actions may have also damaged the B3.

5. coffeewood

coffeewood

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks. I was just curious if that was likely at all. I had the B3 and everything else disconnected when we tried the tinfoil and wasn't too concerned about what would happen as the amp was completely dead already. I know the tinfoil wasn't brilliant but I was kind of pissed at the thing as it is relatively new and took a dump on me and honestly didn't care if the darn thing went up in smoke . . . LOL . . . it was by "B" amp and I've been researching new amps already to use as a primary so I guess I'll be getting the new one sooner rather then later.

I'm looking at the Orange Terror Bass or AD200, and the Fender Bassman 300. Definitely know I need a backup now though and will not rely on the DI of any pedal, etc., for that. Had this have happened at a show I would have been SOL.

Thanks again.

6. jebersole

jebersole

May 20, 2005
    When I got my B3, it seemed the output was pretty hot compared to my Jazz bass by itself. I took a few minutes, after creating some of my own patches, and lowered the patch levels. Some are using the B3 as a preamp and go directly into a power amp where a hotter signal out of the B3 might be more appropriate, but I'm running into a GK head. I'm not saying the B3 had anything to do with your issue, but thought I'd share...

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    It's possible that you have a bad speaker cable, and nothing was wrong with the amp the first time the fuse blew. I've seen fuses blow when a speaker cable plug got pulled out a little from the jack. If the amp did have a problem, it may have been a simple fix. I'm sure it can still be repaired, but it's much worse off. I'm not trying to rub it in, but never tin foil a fuse, or keep replacing it. Besides making repairs more difficult, you could start a fire. If a fuse blows, check your connections. When you replace a fuse, unplug your speaker cable before you power the amp back up.

8. coffeewood

coffeewood

Mar 29, 2011
    Good advice. Thanks!