1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Countryman Type 85 1/4" with no power

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Jack, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Hey guys,

Simple question for type 85 owners, I want the DI on my board where it will always be used to send the signal to my amp via the 1/4" output but not always to the PA via the xlr. Will the jack still send a signal to my amp even with no phantom power or will I need either phantom power or a battery to power the amp feed?

2. All active DI's require power (either phantom or battery pwr) - but the parallel in/output jacks still connect/work without pwr.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Hi Joe!

Thanks for that. Yes I know I'll be needing power to run the actual 'di' bit of the 'di box', but most of the time it will just be a i/o box of sorts connecting my pedalboard to the amp, as long as the jacks work without power then we'll be golden.

I hoped they would if they truly were just parallel jacks, but I wasn't sure if they ran through some internal circuitry in the box that would require power.

4. Hi Jack

The 85 in/output parallel jacks are truly just parallel jack and don’t require power to work - so you should be good to go.

Have fun.

Cheers,
    Joe