1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cover Band members, which songs should I work on?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well, I am back in the market for a band and not having much luck finding openings. :( In the meantime, I am trying to learn as many songs as I can to ace audtions when they come up. Any suggestions on what songs to learn for classic/modern rock cover bands? What are you people playing these days?

2. Here's our current set list. I've done quite a few of these with other bands too...

http://www.d2.gq.nu/about.html

(I'm officially listed there as playing rhythym guitar, though I have subbed for their regular bass player too... :D anything to get on stage!!)

3. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Check out my band's website...we do more of the Classic Rock thing as we are old farts and the clubs/parties we play prefer the format from us in North and South Carolina.

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Some of the same songs I have played from band to band over the last couple years:

American Band - Grand Funk Railroad
    Hard To Handle - The Black Crowes
    Tush - ZZ Top
    Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
    Funky Music - Wild Cherry
    Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
    Walk This Way - Aerosmith
    Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
    Two Tickets To Paradise - Eddie Money
    You Really Got Me - Van Halen style
    Rock N' Roll - Led Zeppelin
    Gel - Collective Soul
    Pride N' Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn
    The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
    My Sharona - The Knack
    Rock N' Roll All Night - Kiss

Coincidently, I noticed almost all of these tunes are on either jimbob or nashvillebill's playlist as well.

5. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Yeah...these are tunes my band calls "Falling off a log tunes". The clubs and crowd love these songs though...good familure tunes for all ages. A few years ago I played with a group that did a bunch of Barenaked Ladies, Soul Asylum, Creed, 311, Nirvana, White Stripes, RHCP and it would never fail someone wanted to hear Skynard and a lot of the classic rock stuff. I work a lot more now with this format than back then...Give the people what they want.