Cover Band members, which songs should I work on?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well, I am back in the market for a band and not having much luck finding openings. :( In the meantime, I am trying to learn as many songs as I can to ace audtions when they come up. Any suggestions on what songs to learn for classic/modern rock cover bands? What are you people playing these days?
  2. Here's our current set list. I've done quite a few of these with other bands too...

(I'm officially listed there as playing rhythym guitar, though I have subbed for their regular bass player too... :D anything to get on stage!!)
  3. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Check out my band's website...we do more of the Classic Rock thing as we are old farts and the clubs/parties we play prefer the format from us in North and South Carolina.
  4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Some of the same songs I have played from band to band over the last couple years:

American Band - Grand Funk Railroad
    Hard To Handle - The Black Crowes
    Tush - ZZ Top
    Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
    Funky Music - Wild Cherry
    Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
    Walk This Way - Aerosmith
    Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
    Two Tickets To Paradise - Eddie Money
    You Really Got Me - Van Halen style
    Rock N' Roll - Led Zeppelin
    Gel - Collective Soul
    Pride N' Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn
    The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
    My Sharona - The Knack
    Rock N' Roll All Night - Kiss

Coincidently, I noticed almost all of these tunes are on either jimbob or nashvillebill's playlist as well.
  5. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Yeah...these are tunes my band calls "Falling off a log tunes". The clubs and crowd love these songs though...good familure tunes for all ages. A few years ago I played with a group that did a bunch of Barenaked Ladies, Soul Asylum, Creed, 311, Nirvana, White Stripes, RHCP and it would never fail someone wanted to hear Skynard and a lot of the classic rock stuff. I work a lot more now with this format than back then...Give the people what they want.