1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CP Thornton Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nightman, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Okay, so I'm starting a CP Thornton Club thread for owners, old players, previous owners and want to be owners of a CP Thornton bass!!

I just got mine last week and am totally impressed with the quality, the workmanship, the feel, the sound and the look!

So, show us about your CP Thornton and join the club!!

NOTE: Your Club number is your CP Thornton serial number!!
    I found out some interesting info on the CP Thornton serial numbers:
    1) The serial number scheme changes with every design change.
    2) From 1988 through 1992 50 Through-Neck basses all serialized by the number of the bass 'NNN', the month 'XX', and the year 'YY' it was finished.
    3) Starting In 2012 11 Set Neck basses were built and were serialized 001 through 011 and
    the new Bolt-On Neck basses are serialized B-01 through B-030.

I'm #B-030!!
    - Torrefied Swamp Ash with Torrefied/Flame Maple top
    - Torrefied Birdseye Maple
    - Torrefied Birdseye Maple fingerboard with Black Ovals and white side dots
    - 5 string through body, 34'' scale, 22 frets
    - Hipshot hardware
    - Nordstrand NJ5SV
    - Oil/varnish sealer w/Nitrocellulose top coats
    - 8.4 lbs
    - By far the best playing bass I own!!

IMG_0665.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. Samuel Newsom

Samuel Newsom

Mar 5, 2018
    #25 :)))

Attached Files:

BlueLou and Nightman like this.
  3. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I played my CP Thornton in service today, which is its first time out, and it really sounded nice. It wasn't lost in the mix and, with the neck profile, it was so easy to play. I also play bass in a secular band and our next gig is this Friday. I will be taking the CP Thornton to see how it performs in that situation.
    So far, I'm really, really impressed with this CP Thornton! I may have found 'THE' bass to make me sell my others, and just get another CP Thornton and call it a day!!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    JTbass_6 and Carlostito like this.
  4. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Check out this beautiful 4 stringer!

IMG_0594.

Carlostito, BlueLou and Samuel Newsom like this.
  5. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Here is another 5'er!

IMG_0529.

BlueLou likes this.
  6. Dave Daniels

Dave Daniels

Apr 30, 2018
    Maine
    I've had mine since later in 2015. Bought it new from Chuck after we discussed the innovative idea of a cedar body and neck. I am happy I was able to convince him. The weight and tone of this instrument make it the most satisfying bass I've ever played. Very proud to count Chuck as a friend and exquisite master luthier. I also have several of his 6 string guitars. My bass is #B-005. She has a Nutka (Yellow) Cedar body and set neck. Came with a heavy Bison hide Harvest gig bag. This one makes me love the woodshed as my office! IMG_0941.

7. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome!!

What a beautiful CP Thornton, @Dave Daniels!! :woot: The cedar wood is a nice tone wood, too. I have a fretless 5'er made from Spanish Cedar, although not a CP Thornton, the tone of the bass is very nice. So, I imagine

Thanks for sharing!!

8. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    @Dave Daniels, I'm noticing the line along the top of the pups moving toward the upper horn. Is that carved in the wood or paint or what??

Tell us about the electronics.

9. BlueLou

BlueLou

Oct 26, 2017
    Vermont
    Hello,

This is a not so great photo of my CpThornton bass built and delivered 11/2017.
    Around 2015 Chuck Thornton built 11 set neck style basses, that style were
    designed with the thumb rest integrated in the body as depicted in the photo.
    That model and stlyle of bass has been replaced by his new bolt on neck basses.

I am a long time customer of Chucks and I own several of his guitar models also
    as I am primarily a guitar player.
    I was visiting with Chuck at his shop and he showed me this unfinished bass.
    It was the prototype bass that was used in the design of the initial 11 set neck basses he built.
    Being I do some basic home recording I asked Chuck if that was available and would he
    finish it and build a bass for me.

I wanted that specific bass because of the body style with the thumb rest designed into it.
    I just liked the way those basses look and it was the last one available.
    So this particular bass is basically Prototype #000, not really an assigned number as it is a one off.

I was talking with Chuck this morning and he mentioned this club being formed, so I thought
    I would add a photo but it is a quick not so flattering photo.
    The finish is satin black but I had Chuck add some faint pearl flake into it and it really looks good under
    bright light and the sun.
    Chuck does outstanding work, his bass & guitar necks have always been
    amazing along with the fretwork he does. All my guitars built by him are flawless.
    One of the nicest guys you will ever meet also. I am lucky enough to live close enough to visit his
    shop. I love seeing all his builds and new ideas that he works on.

I appreciated all the time Chuck took to show me basics on playing and he helped me
    dial in my new Genzler Magellan Head and Genzler 210-3 Array cab.
    It was a great time and Chuck was as patient as always with me.
    Lou

IMGP1320.JPG

10. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome @BlueLou!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your CP Thornton with us!!! And thanks for explaining what that is along the top of the pups!! What a cool idea to carve the thumb rest into the body like that, too!!

I've been on youtube listening to videos of CP Thornton guitars being played and the tones of those guitars are heavenly, although I'm sure a lot has to do with the player's training and technique, but those CP Thornton guitars (and basses) are special!

And DITTO on your comments about Chuck. In my very short time of knowing him, it's like he's known me for years!!

I know this is a bass forum, but a pic or two of his guitars wont hurt! ;)

Carlostito and BlueLou like this.
  11. Carlostito

Carlostito

Apr 30, 2018
    Dear Nightman,
    Carlostito here, I have two CPThornton basses. One is a 4 string active/Passive (011-B) and one 4 string passiv (B-023). I brought Chuck my 65 fender jazz to evaluate and when I wouldn’t sell it to him he made a bass that’s even better and sold that to me!
    How do I join your Chuck group?
    I have an instagram “CPThorntonbass” and should have photos on there. I am glad to post photos of your specific chuck bass if you send me the specs also.

BlueLou and Samuel Newsom like this.
  12. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    @Carlostito, Welcome to the CP Thornton Club and to Talkbass.com!!

Just post your CP Thornton bass(es) in this thread and you are a member of this Club!

I'll update my CP Thornton post in this thread with the specs and you can post on instagram.

BlueLou and Carlostito like this.
  13. Samuel Newsom

Samuel Newsom

Mar 5, 2018
    So for those new members I guess you would say haha mine is posted above: B-025. Mine has a white blonde finish (color very subtley fades to opaque white around the edges) over swamp ash body. Nordstrand pickups and torrefied flamed Birdseye maple neck. Pau Ferro fretboard. Extremely bright tone. I saw on his newest builds he seems to have gone to a j bass style pickup so I’m betting he’s getting feelers out experimenting some.

14. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I suspect that extremely bright tone is more a modern tone that can be tamed via the EQ's.

15. Hi folks. My serial number is 0030588.
    This is 4 years older than my oldest bass and it plays and sounds much better than any bass I have. I'll post pictures when I get home but allow me to say he was ahead of his time in style and workmanship. The bass I have will not be my only cpthornton bass.

16. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    BlueLou likes this.
  17. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome to the CP Thornton Club @Matthewlikewise !!

Can't wait to see a pic of your early CP Thornton bass creation, #003!!! How special is that?? :woot:

I know my first CP Thornton isn't my last. I'm looking forward to my next one! I'm toying with getting one of his guitars, although I don't play guitar as frequently as I do bass, but if I can sound like those musicians playing CP Thornton guitars in the videos, then I'm all in for one!! :D

18. Craig4bass

Craig4bass

May 1, 2018

19. Craig4bass

Craig4bass

May 1, 2018
    Okay, so I am CS001, I suppose that could even be first of the 11 set neck Passive/Actives that were made, and I could not be happier with this CP Thornton bass. I play in NY, and anyone who tries it agrees it is just top notch. I love the woods that were selected, Mahogany with Tazmanian Blackwood top, Bubinga headstock and neck, and the Nordstrand NJ4SV's are exactly the sound I hoped for. Switching from passive to active boost mid song makes for an interesting boost if or as needed. Love it, and glad to see a forum for such a great builder. IMG_7439.

20. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome to the Club, @Craig4bass!!

Owning the first of only 11 Set Neck CP Thornton basses!!! That is and awesome looking bass, too!! And I just know its sound is amazing, as well.

I just love that carved-in thumb rest! It is so cool!

So, what are the electronics and the controls on this one?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    BlueLou likes this.