Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CPU Recording...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by McHack, Apr 15, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The idea of recording me, playing,, either the bass, or guitar,, onto my PC intrigues me....

I've been sniffing around in this forum for a while now, but I'm really tired & maybe I'm not getting it...

Is this really as easy as...

1) Get a cable to run from my amps xlr out, into the Midi port on my PC's sound card.... (TB Monterey II)
    2) Get necessary software, & hit record?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    no. Midi is digital info. Not analog like your bass will produce. You will need to use the microphone in port.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok,

I'm thinking wouldn't it just be more efficient (technically) to have some sort of conversion box, that I could run my XLR out into,, & then on to the midi port...

Is the Midi port still the optimum way to get musical data into your PC? I see folks talking about thier USB ports...

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    most of mine are bass -> line in of my old date POS Soundblaster 16.

sometimes I go bass -> ashdown -> tuner out -> soundcard

I record in one of 3 variants of Cakewalk that I own. Usually CakeWalk Pro Audio 9 as Sonar won't sync more then 3 tracks over 4 minutes long on my 300Mhz computer (128mb, WinXP)

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not midi!

if they use USB it's a USB sound devise with it's own A/D D/A converters

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A lot of people seem to think that midi is computer audio.
    MIDI is just a standard protocol for controller data. You control synthesizers etc. with it.
    The midi port is for keyboards, synthesizers etc.
    Audio signals like bass etc. cannot be recorded via midi, but via line in or mic in.