Crack on shoulder-1st aid

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bill spangler, Feb 8, 2004.

1. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    My no-name solid wood 1860's upright has recently developed a crack on the left-side upper bout. It's about 3 inches long and seems to not be increasing in size since I noticed it several days ago. Does anyone here have a noninvasive procedure on addressing such a crack?? Thanks
  2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    It's really a job for a luthier. Where are you? If you have noone around then the simple stop gap repair is to rub some hide glue in and get a spool clamp across the way with mebbe a wedge under the shaft to level the crack. Getting reinforcement on the inside would be tricky though and if you don't have the chops you could easily do more harm than good.
  3. sure to double check the humidity level in your house. Low humidity causes a lot of cracks like yours this time of year.
  4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I just now noticed that the locales are no longer listed under our I'm in the Columbia,SC area

I will check the humidity level.

I don't trust the guy at the local string repair guy at my local
    music store for much more than rehairing a bow. The old Guy Chuck Hearen (sp?) WAS very good, but he no longer does repair work to my knowledge.
  5. jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC