1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crackling Noise Coming From Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by longview21guns, Jan 23, 2017.

1. longview21guns

longview21guns

Jan 6, 2017
    I currently use a Ibanez SDGR 250 Active Bass, and just started using again a Fender 25 watt Rumble amp that I got a while ago. A crackling noise now comes from the amp both while I am playing and when I just have my bass plugged in. I switched to a new cord to see if that was the problem, but the crackling noise is still there. Could it be the battery in my bass?

I've only been playing bass for a few months, and was unable to find the answer to this question on the internet.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

First off, remove the cable and the bass from the amp and see if the issue persists. If the issue stops, it is likely within your bass. The issue may be your battery but it may be static electricity or a dirty pot as well. We'll need to narrow it down. Does anything impact the noise?

3. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Yep.. ^^^^^^This, plus make sure the nut on your input jack of the bass is not loose.
    Clean the input of the bass jack, and amp input with some Deoxit

4. longview21guns

longview21guns

Jan 6, 2017
    I just unplugged my bass and cable from the amp and it stopped. Then, I checked my input jack and the nut was not loose.

5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    By 'crackling' I assume you mean crackles and pops that happen randomly and not just distortion while you're playing. The most common causes of 'crackling' sounds:
    1) Loose or worn out OUTPUT jack. Especially the edge-mounted barrel jacks. Wiggle the cable while the bass is plugged in to test. The only way to fix it is to replace it.
    2) worn out volume control on bass. (Crackle noise happens when adjusting the volume knob.)

3) worn out volume control on the amp. Crackle noise would occur with no bass plugged in.

4) Loose wire or loose pot terminal making contact with the shielding in the control cavity. Do any of your knobs feel springy when turned all the way to the left or right?

5) Loose battery clip. Unlikely, but worth a look.

6. I asked my lady, who knows nothing about technical things, what she would do in your case. She said change the battery! ;D

7. longview21guns

longview21guns

Jan 6, 2017
    I just changed out the battery in my bass. It didn't help with the crackling noise, but it was probably time for me to be changing my battery anyways. I think the issue is with a loose wire or pot terminal making contact with the shielding in the control cavity.

Ways to go about fixing this?

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Put tape on the shielding where the pots making contact.

Loose wire should be resoldered

longview21guns likes this.
  9. I think you have jumped into a diagnosis without proper justification. It could be what you think but personally I doubt it.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Have you popped open the cavity and confirmed this? If your hot connects to your shielding then you get no output, not crackling.