Cracks? Problem? Weather? AHH.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Farin, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Ok, So, I have a bit of a problem. I just got a Sam Shen bass about a month ago, and it has seemed to have dried out already. It has developed a crack on the side of the bass, neer the bottom. Its about 8 inches long, and is only a hairline crack, but it looks like it is all the way through. It really pains me. Im just wondering, is this something that I need to get repaired right away, or is it just a cosmetic thing. I understand that this problem is due to the humidity. I just ordered 2 Dampits for it, but what can I do right now so get its humidity up? What should I do, get it fixed ASAP? Get the humidity up on it, and let it go? It dosent look that bad, but its driving me crazy because I just got it. It's a little frustrating.
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get it to the shop. It could be a design feature or it took a hit somewhere. The tree doctor will be able to tell you.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Make sure you are careful with the Dampits with wringing them out. If they start dripping inside the bass it will cause far more problems than it will solve. You are better off using a room humidifier. The Dampits are good in a pinch though.
  4. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    I would definitely say get your bass fixed before it has a chance to spread.

Regardless of the method you choose to humidify, I would say that you should aim for some sort of consistency in the humidity. Constantly taking the bass from extreme dryness to extreme humidity can cause severe problems. If you don't already, it might also help if you keep the bass in the case, as opposed to leaving it out sitting in my room with a sometimes less than satisfactory humidity source. Oh, and, for what it's worth, I keep my bass in my dorm room (except when I have rehearsal, obviously) with the humidifier on and that works just fine for me. Hope you find this helpful.
  5. Yup. the crack won't heal on its own, it'll only get longer.

There's been lots of discussion about humidifying. Here's a sample: A search will turn up more. If you let your bass dry out, you're pretty much guaranteed cracks and open seams.
  6. Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

If it is what I think it is, Olde English has pigment in it. That, IMO, would be a bad thing unless it matches your bass really well.

That being said, I have a $3 touch marker from the furniture store that matches my bass really well. I won't tell you how I know.
  8. Farin do a search for that, I remember Bob Branstetter answering that question. The jist is that is has an addititive that my cause a problem, but I can't remember what. I believe it has to do with seeping into the cracks and preventing glue adhesion for the repair.
  9. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    It may contain silicone... BAD news.
  10. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Old English is good chilled, with some fried chicken. I wouldn't use it for bass polish, though.
  11. I use that Old English scratch cover all the time. It works great to cover raw scratches, but no I wouldn't let any into a crack that needs repairing.
  12. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Get a Mistifier in the Pharmacy. You need to fight the Dry heat in the winter indoors. I have two Shens (amongst my collection). One 3/4 model 1000 (1 of 2 made) from 1997 and an 8oo 7/8 gamba as well from 2002. They are the same as the day I got them except for some scratches.

If you use furniture polish on the scratches, it may make it difficult for Varnish to stick to the wood when your repairman DOES get to work on your Bass. Lick your thumb and wet it a hair. When that oxidizes, it will turn darker. That's all you need until a repair pro gets the Bass.
  13. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Farin,

I'm sorry to hear about your bass troubles. Could you send me a PM when you get a chance? I'd like to know if it's anything that I should be involved with. If you could let me know if it's a new bass, what model it is, etc., I would appreciate it. We take it as a great compliment when a player chooses one of our basses, and want you to be happy with the decision. You can also call me toll free at 888.600.8559.

And yes, as stated above, please get it back to your dealer right away, things like that can get worse fast.

Regarding dampits, there seems to be little benefit, but lots of repairs to water-damaged tops coming into the shop. If you use them, you've got to be careful.