1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Craig's List / Rondo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ken J, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Where does it say he doesn't?

3. Ken J

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    "I bought this guitar brand-new a bunch of years ago before the SX brand changed hands."

el_Bajo_Verde and TolerancEJ like this.
  4. Ken J

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    Mybee I interpreted wrong

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

More likely the seller did. SX isn't a Rondo brand anyway, it's a brand of Team International, a Chinese company. As far as I know it always has been. Rondo is just the importer. TI's policy is to have only one distributor per country which is why you can only get SX from Rondo. But I would assume the seller is just confused and thinks the change in headstock design means a change of ownership.

6. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    He's also confused if he thinks he's getting $300 for it.

7. hrodbert696

Ha ha I hadn't even noticed that! "These SX basses are second to none in their price category," ...which is about 1/3 the asking price...

Duder likes this.
  8. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    He's dreaming, or smoking good dope.:)

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, he might have had a chance before they finally changed the Ursa headstock, but now I don't think an '"old headstock" SX will bring the cash anymore.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Duder likes this.
  10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Could he be talking about the manufacture of the SX brand having changed? As I recall at a certain point the headstock on SX changed radically and I wondered if that was due to a move in manufacturers. In other words the base itself might've been a pre-existing design manufactured and branded for Rondo. Rondo itself I don't think has ever changed hands. Kurt just closed up the shop in New Jersey years ago and moved to New Hampshire. He still runs Rondo as a web only business which is where most of his sales were coming from when he owned the store. He is also a commercial real estate broker in New Hampshire now if I'm not mistaken.

11. hrodbert696

No. It is not branded for Rondo. SX brand basses and guitars are also sold by other distributors in other countries. Rondo is a strictly US operation. The "old" headstock continued (continues?) to be sold in other countries after it was dropped in the US for the Ursa canoe paddle shape. I'm sure it had nothing to do with a change in manufacturer, but with Fender threatening to sue (in US courts).

Team International Music Co.,Ltd.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Am I the only one that goes nuts when people use "LQQK" in an ad?

13. hrodbert696

That's a lot of gutturals in a row, isn't it? Must be Orcish.

14. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Maybe if he includes a nice hard case. Anyone who actually Googles "SX Basses" before buying would hopefully find Rondo's site and see what these are worth new and what the current offerings are.

15. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I regularly see a ton of gear on craigs that is just obscene (in terms of pricing).

For whatever reason there seems to be a lot of people that think that the guitar they bought 2 months from GC and can no longer return for full credit is actually sellable at the same price or above what they paid from GC.
    I see this quite a bit especially with the S.U.B basses and MIM Jazz (or could be that is what I have been primarily looking at).

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Nothing wrong with asking an unreasonably high price. No one has to pay it. When I've sold stuff and didn't really need the money and was just unloading, I'd always put it on Craigslist for a silly price. If someone wants to pay then good for me.

17. Ken J

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    I learned something today

hrodbert696 likes this.