1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist concern

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robertjoel, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm not sure whether or not to trust this email I received in response to a bass I posted on CL...How safe are Certified Checks and is there a chance of me getting scammed? It just sketched me out...

"Hi,
    Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by Certified Cheque as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I would have loved to come take a look but i am presently out of town on an assignment.I will not be back in town soon. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor,Please send me some pictures.I hope it is in good condition.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.I will let you know how i intend to go about the pick-up.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
    Expecting to hear from you soon."

...some thoughts?

2. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    scam

3. It's a scam, it's pretty typical that they'll pull the whole out of town thing, and that they never once mention what it was, just calling it it

4. 100000% a scam.

These types of scams come up all the time on CL. Just move on.

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

ha ha ha internet scam o rama. Notice how they never say anything that even shows they know what you're selling? It's an automatic phishing message.

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Who actually sends an email like that?

7. LOL I figured it was a scam, just wanted to confirm before I moved on, just trying to get this bass sold.

Thanks everyone.

8. The way to avoid crap like that is to let Craigslist anonymize your email, and don't place it in the ad itself,

9. Scam for sure, ONLY deal face to face and cash only on Craigslist and if possible meet at a Starbucks or other public place and take a friend.

On the other hand it is truly fun to mess with these scammers, Make them work for nothing.

10. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Nope, that doesn't work. They still pelt you with scam emails.

11. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I don't know about North Carolina, but up here in New York nobody spells it "cheque". First giveaway.

This means the person is foreign.

12. That was a lame copy-paste response. Note they don't even mention the words 'bass guitar' anywhere so this generic response could be used for chain saws, bikes, barbie dolls et rest.

I would expect scammers to be more professional.

13. Yeah, this was through the anonymous email system.

Only other bite I've gotten so far wants to meet at a guitar center about an hour and a half from me for an extra $50...Craigslist is such a pain.

14. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    Wait, what? So that implies if they spell "cheque" incorrectly it means they're American. Is this serious? That's f**king hilarious.

So how do y'all folks spell it?
    :bag:

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah the only thing he left out was saying he would have his shipping agent pick it up...other than that its the classic CL scam.

16. Check!

17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    We spell it "check". And no native American would spell it cheque. Thats like saying the colour is blue when we would say the color is blue.

18. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    It's spelled check. Really, it's the only way I have ever seen it spelled on anything, anyone who spells it differently definitely would make me think they are foreign too.

19. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I love doing that. The more time and effort they spend on you, the less time and effort they can spend on someone else who might not see through them. The less profitable scamming is, the more likely they'll be to quit.

Send 'em a box of rocks, but make them pay the shipping company to pick it up. :)

The check they send you is fake, of course. So tell them you never got it, so they have to print and mail you another. Then tell them your girlfriend stole it, so they have to send one more. Then the check got damaged in the mail...see how many you can get them to send.

20. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    haha, check. Not saying the way you spell it is wrong (I dated a Canadian who spelled things like colour, cheque, etc. and I occasionally spell things with an extra 'u') but he's from North Carolina, no where near Canada and the guy says he's from the town. It's almost a dead-giveaway it's a scam.