1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Gem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darknut, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    Yesterday I picked up a 1989 Squier II Pbass (with case) off C-list ... one of those 2 good to pass up deals.

Well after a little neck tweaking & new strings this thing plays & sounds stunningly good! who would have believed it ... plywood body & all. This has one of the best necks I've ever played & the pickups are super hot.

Using it on the gig tonight ... never thought I would use a Squier II on a gig but this little bass is killer!! :)

Attached Files:

2. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Congrats, good find.

3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    How much?

4. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    Not much more than a good set of strings :)

Interesting fact ... the neck pocket & pickguard are USA Fender size not the usual "slightly bigger" squier size .... interesting

5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Good job "Darknut." That build was just about when the quality began it's decline for Squires, so you probably got one of the last good ones for many years to come, IMO. Early on, Squires were known as quality instruments. I have an '82 Squire by Fender Bullet 1 bass that is an excellent instrument. :cool:

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Bass looks great.....let us know how it sounds.

7. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm still astounded by this Bass .. played it on a gig Friday & it sounds great & I can't get over how good the neck is.

The tuning keys are really the only thing lacking & that's a pretty easy fix ..... I'm going to be playing the crap out of this little jewel.

Makes me question what I thought about wood types and bass guitar bodies that's for sure.

This is one of the best Pbass' I've ever played .... ever & I've played a "lot" of them.

Sound sample

http://soundcloud.com/darknut/higher-ground-bass-line-1989