1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Craigslist Irritations

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blendermassacre, Apr 11, 2010.

1. So I went to Springfield, MO this weekend to visit some friends. I noticed via the Springfield CL, that there was an 88 saab spg for sale. I emailed the seller, telling him that I was coming from KC this weekend to visit friends, and I would gladly pay his asking price for the car. We emailed back and fourth a few times. He listed the car for $1200, and I tried to offer him $1000 for it, but he said he was firm on the price, but needed to sell because he had left knee issues, thus clutching was becoming a problem. I called him twice and left two messages on two different days (Thursday and Friday) trying to set up a time to come see it. I also Sent him an email on friday asking about a meeting time. He said that the title was in the mail from the DMV. I told him that I would gladly do a bill of sale, and that he could mail me the title, since I live 3 hours away. Never heard from him again. I called him a few times, and he gave me the "f you" button. Sent a few emails as well to no avail.

Luckily, I wasn't going to springfield for the car only. We saw some great shows and hung out with friends, but this seriously put a damper on my weekend.

Why the hell would you post something for sale, and not sell it someone for your asking price?

Bah!
    \rant.

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    He was ignoring you because he sold the saab to me, i just didnt have the heart to tell you. :smug:

Thats a major bummer, no idea why someone would do that. Perhaps he got a higher offer from someone else? And in my opinion, unless the person has the title in hand, that car is not ready for sale. Without a title, the car is useless, and will cause lots of headaches.

3. with a bill of sale, I can get my own replacement title in MO.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Eh, amateur resellers are not going to live up to the standards of professional retailers. You want low-hassle, professional level sales? Buy from a professional. Craigslist is a crap shoot.

5. I'm trying to avoid professional auto salesmen. Obviously CL is a crapshoot, but if people posted an ad, I thought that selling for the listed price was the ultimate goal.

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I don't blame you, but realize that they continue exist for several reasons you've pointed out in your original complaint about their amateur counterparts.

7. I totally understand. The OP was more in shock that the guy wouldn't sell the car at his advertised price, let alone answer his phone or email.

8. Have you tried Ebay Motors? I wonder if that would be any different.

9. I looked today. Nothing that makes me tingle. I'm sort of on the lookout for a decent sub $1500 dollar car that is semi-fun. Obviously my expectations are high. I'm basically looking for a late 80's saab, volvo, bmw, or a 70's boat, or a cool wagon of some kind, falling into either one of the two former categories. Mechanical condition is far more important than looks. I'm also, luckily, in no hurry.

10. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    it wasnt a car, but i was looking around at rooms on cl a month ago, and was at this guys place checking it out when someone else called, and he answered it serious once, and the second time talked gibberish into the phone, and then just kept hanging up.

why did he do this? i believe his response was that he didnt like the sound of the persons voice (not male/female [he was absurdly masogynistic ] but how they answered the phone).

in short: he was a nut job. im sure not paying him rent, and i bet you that guy he hung up on a bunch isnt either. maybe he found another crazy person, and maybe your guy found a crazy person that really liked his car.

11. some people have a hard time rejecting other people/delivering bad news. my guess is that he sold or gave it to a family member (or possibly another buyer.. i suppose) and couldn't deal with turning you down (especially since you were coming from 3 hours away), so he just ignored you.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My gf and I had a room for rent in our condo. I put 2 ads up on CL, on different days. The first one resulted in a few spam replies and someone who sounded interested, but by his description was not someone we would have liked to move in. He was a 40 year old divorcee with a few other things I didnt like about him (though I forget what they were).

Responses to the second ad were pretty much the same. One was a guy who wanted to rent the room for his daughter and asked for all the info I had paced in the ad already. Never heard back from that one. Of all the people who responded (about 8-10) only one seemed like a decent match, and he was the only one we actually showed the room to. He's our roommate now, and seriously one of the coolest (and easiest to live with) dudes Ive ever met.