1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist was kind today- Hofner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiFi Guy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy

Jan 26, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Although I have a Gretsch bass that I love, I always wanted a voilin bass. I like the short scale and am a Beatles freak, so it kind of fits.

After looking around and reading reviews, I bought an Epiphone Voila. I've always had good luck with Epiphone guitars, so it seemed like a natural choice.

It arrived, I put Labella Flats on it and after a month of trying to love it, I realized I hated it.

I went to Bass Central last weekend, and was offered a sweet deal on a Hofner Ignition. The Hofner sounded and felt so much better than the Epiphone. Unfortunately every example in stock had numerous finish flaws, so I didn't make a purchase.

On a whim, I checked Craigslist and found a mint sunburst Icon with case for $350. Communication with the seller was spotty and then I lost his number- it must have been a sign. I waited for 2 days for him to see my email and call...nothing.

This morning, on a whim, I looked again on Craigslist and there was a black violin Contemporary series with case for....are you ready....$350.

I made contact with the seller within the hour and saw it within 3 hours...minty mint! I couldn't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough.

It's home, and has a new set of Labella flats. After a polish, it looks and plays like new. I'm stoked!