Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cramp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by BJT, Oct 19, 2004.

1. BJT

BJT

Aug 9, 2004
    hey, i'm new on the double bass.
    and i was just wondering if it's normall to get cramps in your left wrist or hand as a beginner. the hand that pushes the strings, not plucks them.

thanks.

2. Go to the technique forum, click search this forum, enter "cramps" and you should find what you seek.

3. BJT

BJT

Aug 9, 2004
    thanks for the link...thing, kind of.

i have a teacher, and he tells me the technique. but i think it's still something my hand need to get used to.
    possibly.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The simple answer, your "hand" muscles are not in shape. Ask your teacher for some exercises. With time, good technique, and lots of pravtice, you will see the cramps go away.

Mike

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This might help. If not, try a search in the DB forums only for "shoulder" or "weight" and see what turns up. Good luck, and welcome to TB.

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Good technique and time will correct it. But make sure when the pain starts that you stop. Got to take it slow in the begining and you don't want to hurt yourself.

I am sure also that your teacher has explained that your arm and back muscles should be used to hold down the strings, not just strictly the hand and fingers, this will make you cramp up faster.

I always think of it as pulling back with the arm, instead of squeezing the fingers. Try and stay as relaxed as you can.

Good Luck

7. BJT

BJT

Aug 9, 2004
    cool, thanks heaps guys.

i also think it might be the double bass i have now.
    it's just a rented one, but the strings feel alot harder to push down thank the one i practice on at school.
    especially the E string.
    and for some reason the finger board slops directly under the E string.
    why have they made it like that?
    cause the school one is the same the whole way around.
    i'm sure there is a logical answer but that, i don't know.
    thanks for putting up with my "typical beginner" questions.

8. There are basically two types of fingerboards--round and beveled (slopes directly under the E string). Your board sounds beveled. The bevel is supposed to give easier access to the E and allow it to vibrate more. I don't know if there is any real advantage to either-just whatever you get accustomed to using.

9. BJT

BJT

Aug 9, 2004
    oh okay, makes sense.
    thanks