Crappy Club Owners/Bookers...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by miko, Sep 18, 2003.

1. i think this is a tangential point to joe nerve's 'making it' thread.

what's up with these club owners who act as though they're don friggin kirschner giving you your big break in life?

i mean, we are poised at the brink of the demise of the rock club to begin with [fuh god's sake --the bottom line, a new york institution, is about to close], and these mofos are gonna give me 'tude about trying to book my band?? ***?

i just got a saucy little e-mail from a brooklyn booker who got annoyed coz i sent two e-mails to try to get a gig. he said something like "i already spoke to someone from this band and told them i'd get back to them if i have something. 5,000 e-mails gets annoying after a while."

against my better judgement, i sent him a saucy e-mail right back saying you can't fault me for trying to book a gig, especially when you spoke to me twice and asked me to re-send my demo.

i get a similar vibe from other clubs who act as if their venue is god's gift to rock music.
    puh-leez! this brooklyn place in particular, while i would love to play, hosts some of the most ridiculous acts i've ever seen. avant guard, "experimental" groups who are doing nothing more than musical masturbation. one guy sat up there for 2 hours playing one note on bass and fiddling with his mac computer. spare me.

i think these people need to lighten up and recognize that bands are working hard to be seen, and working harder to pack the damn club.

which brings me to my next point: amicability, flexibility and professionalism are all good and well, but i think sometimes you need to be a chump back. let them know that your band is good and let them know you're serious about what you do. anybody who thinks they can just thumb their nose at your efforts is missing the point and just being a bad businessperson, imho.

the nerve!

whoops. that's joe's band.