1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CRATE BT350 OLD/NEW TOPIC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottmabe, Sep 9, 2008.

1. scottmabe

scottmabe

Mar 29, 2008
    Memphis Tn
    I have seen this topic in here before...but....its old.
    So here goes...
    I have seen a Crate BT350 and an Alesis 3630 compressor in a pawn shop for 300.00.

My question is this.. anybody still have one and do they like it?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Price for both? They are both entry level peices of gear, and I think you could do better. I assume the BT350 is a combo amp? Alesis makes decent starter gear, but maybe I'm missing the question here.

3. scottmabe

scottmabe

Mar 29, 2008
    Memphis Tn
    Its a rack mount...two handles in the front with the compressor mounted above it. All mounted in an Anvil looking case....

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The BT350 is a rack mount head with limiter, chorus, and graphic EQ. It was their top of the line in the early nineties. I have one and it actually sounds good, but I don't use it because it has never been reliable.

5. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have not personal experience with this head but definitely remember some good reviews on it on this forum. It was mentioned that it was a jewel as far as crate gear goes.

6. scottmabe

scottmabe

Mar 29, 2008
    Memphis Tn
    un reliable....hhmmm.... now we are getting somewhere.

I don't REALLY need it... it looks cool.... I dunno...
    Maybe I'm getting AAS ( Amp Acquisition Syndrome ) :rollno:

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Unreliable is my experience with it. I've had it in the shop twice for cutting out. It still cuts out. Worked fine for a while each time. I gave up on it. I need equipment I can be confident in. It does sound good though, and maybe mine is just a lemon or never been repaired properly.

8. scottmabe

scottmabe

Mar 29, 2008
    Memphis Tn
    Thanks for all the help folks....I believe my mind is made up. I'll stick with my rather tame but awesome sounding Behringer rig.

Never had a problem and messes with peoples chromosomes on the dance floor.

I guess this just solidifies my theory that "Looking cool is a question of money...just how cool do you want to look.."

Squatty:bassist:

9. I've also had this head, sold it for much less then I bought it for because i just couldn't rely on it, kept cutting out..

My local tech guy said it was a common problem with crate amps when i mentioned it to him..

10. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    The cutting out is caused by a cold solder joint on the circuit board, had my fixed and haven't had that problem since...... good amp for the price ...good basic amp