Creating slap grooves? Getting started.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Jan 31, 2005.

1. I've been playing for a little while and have messed around with some slap stuff but I'm just no good at coming up with slap grooves or licks. I feel like I don't have the basic understanding of where the slapped and popped notes belong in a line. Where the accents make the most sense and add the most flavor. Overall my technique is good I just need some inspiration.

Can anyone hook me up with some info on a good book or sight with some basic slap grooves to get me started on the building blocks of creating slap lines. Maybe even some musicians with some good PLAYABLE slap lines to learn and pull ideas from. :bassist: I'm not talking MM or Victor solos, I'm looking for BASSLINES. I'm interested in the groove and the foundation. Thanks.
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Tony Oppenheim's Slap It! is an excellent book on the subject. You can find info <a href="" Target="_new">here</a>.

Hope this helps.
  3. Check out some Flea, too. Just listen to a lot of songs that have slap bass in them, then imitate it on your bass.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

When looking for good models for slap grooves, flea is a no-no IMO. Check out some Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooteen. Though they may seem complex at first, a lot of that stuff is very simple. A great song to check out is "The SInister Minister". Learning the pattern of the song and working on the hand movement is great practice for beginnner slap.
  5. Not much of a Flea fan here, but he's pretty good at solid grooves and slap grooves and such.

Check out Oteil Burbridge, then. He's capable of some great slapping! Check out the album "The Stranger's Hand" with Oteil, Steve Smith, Howard Levy, and Jerry Goodman (yes, from Dixie Dregs!). One of my favs.
  6. To know when to pop or slap when creating lines?

I find Playing the slap/pop like similar to playing the drums Kick(slap) snare (pop) mostly the pops are on off-beats but for good effect try popping on the downbeat once in a while to mix it up
    Again alot of creating licks come down to playing what you hear which means studying theory / ear training if you got that then you can create some melodic lines
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would be totally boring & predictable to always hear a Thumbed note on the downbeat with a Popped note on the upbeat.
    I tried searching for the Dave Larue stuff posted here(from old Bass Player Workshops); couldn't find them. Maybe a Google search would work("Larue Left Hand Slap").
    Anyway, for inspiration, look for ways to slap/pop your grooves across the barline or attempt ODD groupings or DISPLACED figures(this will move the Thumbed notes & the Popped notes from their typical places).

Drum books are nice...example: Pick out a transcribed drum part(like Clyde Stubblefield) & play his kick & snare parts as a Slap/Pop bass figure. Then reverse...then maybe add Fretting Hand "Slaps" to accent.

Regarding Flea-
    What he does on "Aeroplane" is really a building block for Slap/Pop.
    In a 1/16th note groove, he is keeping his plucking hand in a constant Thumb-Pop motion while choosing notes & RESTS.
    The Thumb(obviously) plays the Large/Bold notes
    The Pops/Plucks occur on the 'upbeats'(all the "e"s and "a"s).

Maybe practice the general Thumb-Pluck motion until it feels very natural.
    Eventually, ACCENT only the "e" & "a"s...mute the "downbeat"/Thumbed notes.
    (Again, keep the Thumb/Pluck motion going).

Then start substracting "notes" while adding RESTS or muted Pops.
    l1-e&2e&-3-&-4e&al-e&-2-&-3e&--e&-l etc
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

9. Although not my favorite, flea is a very solid player with some tasty grooves
  10. Yeah, to form basic groovy slap grooves, try using the theory of strumming guitar with slap and pop. If you've played any guitar, you'll know that basically you do downstrokes on the downbeat and upstrokes on the upbeat (that is between the beats). Transpose that idea to bass -- put slaps on the downbeat and pops on the upbeat. Just get a solid right-hand rhythm going, and then start putting in notes with the left hand. Be sure to leave in a lot of mutes -- that's what makes it funky.
  11. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    start by slaaping aand popping octivrs and doint it in different patterns after that get the tabs for higher ground by the chille peppers because thats basiccally what that is.
  12. g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    you also may want to check out some billy gould(faith no more).

Listen to The Morning After(the real thing) for an interesting/simple bassline.
    Crack Hitler(angeldust) is also really good as well.