Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crest CA9 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kelbrihan, Jan 20, 2006.

1. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Does anyone know the differance between the older CA9's vs. the newer ones? I know that on the older models, the banana outputs are across the top of the rear panel and that you have to go inside the amp to select your mode. Is that all? Do the older one sound better, or seem louder than the newer ones?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The older models do not have an external switch for the bridged/parallel mono mode, but other than that, they sound the same.

Tom.

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Be aware as well that in the earlier style, there were two types of preamp boards, and the earlier one was prone to fail. Crest has a factory service bulletin issued, and they did the upgrades free of charge, but in older amps it might be prudent to check and see if it has been upgraded or not.

- Tim

4. Yup, this bears looking into. I've seen a lot of the early CA-series amps fail.

5. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I think that was why the recall. My first CA-6 was one of the very early ones, and I did get the mods when announced (although it never failed . . .). I have subsequently beat the crap out of it, and nary a burp . . . . . . as well as my other CA-6 and CA-9.

- Tim

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i love my ca-9

its a ****in bad ass amp

7. Word! Although I think both my arms are a little longer now from carrying mine around. :)

8. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Does anyone know a link to the bulletin or know any info on it?

9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    It was probably 6 or more years ago that I had mine done, but I would suggest that you either contact Crest or on of their service providers - they should know the details, and if they still offer the modification. I think there was a time limit, which has long since passed . . . . .

- Tim