1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crooked T-Rex wrist action

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stagelab, May 7, 2020.

1. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've always known I had a bit of a T-Rex thing going on with my plucking hand wrist angle. Curious if others do the same and if I'm putting my wrist at risk for injury.

Just started making YouTube videos. Would be cool to get some feedback, and subscribers. Here's my page.

A cover.

An original.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice stuff! :thumbsup:

do you ever have pain from that? if "no" --- then no, probably not. your 'touch' seems to be commensurate with the hand/wrist posture = you do not appear to be 'straining' to play.

some of the junior nigglers will take exception to my POV, but if they haven't played for decades = how would they know? there are players with missing digits/deformations/etc. who will never strike a picture-perfect 'pose' but who nonetheless play wickedly when called upon...without pain or apologies. also: i don't know of any older/accomplished players (any instrument) who do not show some signs of a life-long pursuit of the exceptional. wannabes and posers ( :D ) focus on appearances --- players play!

if you have no pain (or 'after-effects') from playing, and if you can accomplish your goals = you get to own your techniques when they work for you! good luck with your playing and your channel! :thumbsup:

3. I'm wrist straight playing over the pickup, but regularly move and rest my thumb at the end of the neck, so very curled up. Been doing that for a good 20yrs without any wrist issues. The plus side is that you'll feel discomfort before it gets bad, so worst case you take a break or adjust.

4. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    Brooklyn, NY
    no pain in the wrist, and I’ve been playing on and off for a good 24 years. My fingers get a bit sore sometimes, and my neck and shoulder injuries make it tough to play standing up for too long. I picked up a short scale and it’s a relief. I may end up selling my vintage P bass for a lightweight 32.5” from Sandberg or something.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

i think you've got your answer! i'd go with your own/real experience vs. 'the technique police' every time. and two and a half decades of experience trumps a naysayer, always!

cool that you've found some comfort/relief with the shorter scale, too! :thumbsup:

6. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    Brooklyn, NY
    I watched some videos and there's a couple things I will try to adjust:

- holding my bass with the neck angled up a bit more, and a bit forward

But I think I'll keep my right forearm resting on my bass, cause my shoulder needs some relief!

gebass6 likes this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Playing with the bass on the right leg while sitting encourages plucking arm laziness.
    Resting the arm on the bass.

When you sit,try the "classical position"with the bass between your legs.
    Use a strap and angle the bass up more.
    Raise your right elbow.Arm straight.
    20200510_080807.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021