1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

crossover recommendation

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Mar 19, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    We have a mixer and a 2500 watt power amp. The monitors are daisy chained and the mains are daisy chained. Looking into a passive sub. Can you give me a recommendation for a crossover? The mixer does not have this in it. Sorry I don't know the mixer model, but will get that info in a bit.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Rane or DBX. Look used if need be. Don't cheap out here.

3. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Any specific model? This ART 311 STEREO CROSSOVER W/ SUB OUT seems suitable in terms of specs, but I don't know the exact way these are hooked up and such.

Since we will use a separate channel that I think has EQ on it, will the EQ on the board allow the functionality of taking the lows out of the mains and highs/some mids from the sub?

The mixer is a Peavy PV14 (usb I think).

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    The crossover will have frequency controls for each channel. These are independent of channel strip EQs. You will run your sub on one channel and your mains on the other. Unless you use a 3 way crossover. Best bet really is to aux the subs. Go into the "Live sound" subforum. Lots of great info there.

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    If you only have one power amp you will need another one if you are wanting to use a crossover. I would buy a powered sub with a built in crossover.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

This^;)

7. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    I wanted to buy a powered sub with a builtin crossover, but said that I didn't need to because they had plenty of power. I don't necessarily want to use a crossover, I just don't know if I need it. Does the fact that each channel have its own EQ matter? The PV14 manual doesn't tell me what Low, Mid, and High actually are.

8. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Oh forget the EQ thing that is INPUT, doh...

9. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Ok so if I did get a powered sub, how would I keep the lows from the mains, or is that not a worry?

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    What you need to do is list exact models of what gear you have and what you are trying to achieve. Then Modulusman and the other gurus can give you the correct advice.

It is possible that you can run a sub off one side of your power amp and mains off the other, but then what about your monitors? Plus you will likely be driving your amp too hard. Best bet is a powered sub and use your power amp for mains and monitors.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    If you get a powered sub with a built in crossover, your sub will do that for you.

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    The OPs mixer only has one aux. As you mentioned he needs to list exactly what he is using for gear to get any good reccomendations.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Well Modulusman has given me most excellent advice with regards to my own system, so I strongly urge the OP to listen to what this man says.

14. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    modulusman - Which output on this board is considered AUX? I don't see one specifically called that. Would it be control room? Still waiting for someone to reply to me to tell me the power amp model.

15. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    The aux is the same as the monitor send. I used to have the PV10 mixer. IIRC the board only has one monitor and the effect send.

16. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    I got a little more info, though not the power amp. Per advice from Sweetwater, they want to run the passive sub daisy chained with the mains. If I understand correctly it goes

Mixer Left Out -> Power Chan 1 -> main1 -> main2 right now with us not having the sub.

Mixer Mon Out -> Power Chan 2 -> mon1 - mon2 - mon3 - etc.

I don't think putting a passive sub in the chain is right at all because you would never be able to dial in the volume correctly...

Taking your advice I think mixer Right out can go to a powered sub that has it's own crossover, like a Peavy 18D. Am I getting closer?

17. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Not sure how good that sub is. It only had 119db output which is pretty lame. The way you would hook it up is left out to the subwoofer input have the switch set to HPF. come out of the sub to your power amp channel 1
    and daisy chain your tops like you already are. EDIT use the xlr inputs and outs not the 1/4 inch on both the mixer and sub