1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crown XL602 - Anyone Using

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fcoda, Apr 19, 2006.

1. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I just got the crown xl602 from MF that they had for 249.00 a few weeks ago - I looked through the manual and it doesn't show how to change the ohms and there are no switches on the amp . Does the amp recognize the load and play down to the speaker load ?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    To answer your question: Yes, the amp knows what impedance load is connected to it. Most solid state amps don't have impedance switches.

You may be wondering how to bridge the amp. Since there are no switches, that makes it a little more tricky. You need an XLR Y cable where one side is wired with reversed polarity (plus a speakon wired for bridge mode on the output).

3. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Thanks for that information - if I didn't want to bridge the amp - could I use a Y - XLR out of the pre to the amp and drive the 2 channels sep.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, the two ends of the XLR would just be normal XLR ends rather than the special one with reversed polarity. Then of course, you would need two Speakons for the outputs (you only need one for bridge mode).

Have fun with your XLS. I don't think I could clip mine if I tried. :)

5. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    One more question for you - Lets say I want to run chan 1 dry and chan 2 with effects - I would come out of the pre with the Y-XLR direct to chan 1 and take the other side of the XLR to the input of the effects rack then take the effect output in to chan 2 . Does that make sense ?

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mine is sitting here in a box at work. I am sure that I would want to try it in bridged mode at some point, so it looks like I'll be on the hunt for some custom cables. ;)

Tom.