CT Bassists/Teachers

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by briananderson, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Hi everyone,

Im thinking about starting to take lessons again. I went to school for jazz and mostly played electric but got a great start on the upright with the bassists around me, including lessons with Lucas Drew. So years later Im barely touching my bass guitar and regretting not studying with Drew more while I had the chance.
    Im looking for a good DB teacher in the SW connecticut area to study with 2-3 a month to fill in all the holes in my technique and understandng of classical bass styles. Any recomendations would be appreciated.

2. ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Hi Brian,

I'm a bass player located in Stamford. I recently graduated from Yale with a master's in bass performance. I've taught classical bass up to the undergrad level. If you're interested, send me an email: palto@prodigy.net .

3. I,m from Waterbury CT. I am a music teacher and give lessons here in town. I am not sure how advanced you are but I could certainly get you started. I studied with Robert Black at Uconn. I'm not sure if he teaches privatly but what a musician.
    Peace Benton
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    +1, Great guy and great bassist !
  5. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Sound like other have already helped but you could give Upton Bass a call. I am sure Gary has a list somewhere. He is in Mystic, I am not sure where that is from your local. www.uptonbass.com
  6. Robert Black is one of the most underated cats out there IMHO.
    If you can get with him, do! He is brilliant.
  7. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I am looking into buying a DB for the first time. I am from the New Haven, CT area and am itching to get back into playing. I took lessons some 25 years ago from Larry Mendelssohn(spelling?). I don't know if he is still around the area these days. I was turned on to him from Tony Lombardozzi, a local jazz guitarist who is still active in the New Haven area and in NYC.

Once I can find a left handed DB, I will probably be looking for a teacher to show me the basics so that I don't start with any bad habits.
  8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    There are good players and teachers in all areas of the state, but the guy I recommend is Mike Asetta in Cromwell. All around great guy, great for setups and repair, instruction.

This is more for ctcruiser since it is not a sw ct guy.

I'm just a satisfied customer...
    cchorney likes this.
  9. Thanks for all the help guys. Im also thinking about taking some time to work with a jazz pianist/composer. Anyone know of an inspirational mentor type? Im thinking NYC might be the best place for that.
  10. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
  11. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I went to college with bass-dork over here.... Funny guy, can't play bass worth a crap, but fun to hang out with. Don't ask him to tell you about Phil Magruder. :rollno: Actually, I'm just joking. Brian, I love you man!!! He had this killer band I loved, Raisin Hill, and they are on the hunt for a new drummer. Brian is hillarious with the most wacked out stage presence ever.
  12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Brian, if you're serious, you might want to check out studying with Sal Mosca. You know how kung fu schools talk about direct lineage? Well, he's a cat that has a direct lineage to Lennie Tristano ON TOP of having his own approach. I study with a bassist who studied and played with him, I highly recommend their methodology.

He's got a website, http://www.salmosca.com/
  13. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I found out about David Mix who is a luthier/teacher in Branford, CT 203-422-7368.

I am buying an old West German made Meisel from him that he is converting to be left handed for me.

After that I will be taking lessons from him.

Keith Henderson