Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Current Ampeg V4BH vs. vintage V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeyvr6, Jan 3, 2005.

1. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Using the search function I've read up on all the technical differences between the two, however I'm interested to see if anyone can compare/contrast the tone and overall mojo of the current V4BH models vs. the 70s vintage V4B's. If I go with a current model will I be losing that much of the "vintage goodness" to make it worth seeking out a 70s model?

I'm thinking of selling off my Ampeg B3 combo (<--anyone interested? :ninja: ) and picking one of these up strictly for home practice and recording purposes, so the oft-repeated "it's not loud enough in a band setting" opinion is a non-factor for me.

Anyone care to offer their opinion?

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Mike,
    I have never played the current or SLM V-4s, but I can tell you that my 72 sounds AMAZING and is built like a 65 Buick. I'm sure someone with a comparison will chime in.
    You can still get them in the paper or other ad sites. I think I paid $325. plus $120. for a cap job. I will NEVER sell this amp.!!

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    FWIW, I just spotted what looked like an excellent condition vintage Ampeg V4B and a matching Ampeg cab in the Sam Ash in Buffalo Grove, Illinois for only 379 for the head, didn't see what they want for the cab. You can give them a call, find the number on www.samashmusic.com. They may make you a good deal, they're a decent group of kids.

4. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Come on man, don't tell me that! And it's only 2-ish hours away!

Actually I've gotta sell this combo first to fund this amp per my self imposed new gear purchase policy. (all new gear is funded by gig money and/or selling existing gear)

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hahaha, a laudable goal sir, I hope it works out for you. Sometimes when you see what you want you need to just say screw it and make it happen... and then bitch later when you realize you moved too fast, I've done that a couple times. That's a good plan to wait, I should do it more often actually. I doubt it'll move too quickly, that store seems to go a little slowly....

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just loved my old V4B. Great tone with the right tubes. But my back hated it. I swear that it was built of lead or some cosmic material. I always dreaded carrying that thing so I sold it. I just hope that it went to a good home.

7. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Yeah, I've moved too fast on a few things in the past that I regret which is exactly why I'm a little more discerning now. Maybe I should convince my wife to take a road trip this Saturday down there and just trade this darn combo in on it?

Hmmm....

8. well i have the new V4bh and a friend of mine has the 70´s V4B and the guitar version V4. i have played alot through all of them and here is my rundown.

with everything flat and volume up to around 10-11 o´clock on the 70´sV4B it sounds fat and growling with alot of overdrive that sounds very pleasing to my ears(played with a yamaha BB3000 and fender P-bass).
    to get the same sound from the "new" V4BH i had to turn the gain all the way up and master at around 10-11 o´clock. it has an overall darker sound than the 70´s and has more deepbass but only at low-levels and with the gain turned down alot.

the V4 sounds similar but yet not as punchy and the bottom sounds a little weak sometimes.

you´re missing abit growl in the new one but have the capability to get more of a cleaner sound if you want to.
    it weights propably half of those 70´s ones but they have that 2/4/8 ohm switch that can get handy sometimes(V4BH 4/8 ohm).

i could get the same sounds from my V4BH and the volume was about the same and still there´s some subtle soundchanges. more mids in the older ones maybe?
    i can live with it thoe(still have it after nearly 5 years)

9. bass4820

bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    texas
    i also have a vt-22, the guitar model of the 70's v4. the only difference is the reverb unit. anyway, the vt is a tank, it clocks in at a sweet 58 pounds. i swear i could jack up my car onto it and change the oil if i wanted to. tonewise, it is phat with my fender p through my 810. it's got some major balls. i think they call this the 100 watt version of the svt. great amp, if you can find one that is in good working condition. it would last forever with a little maintinence. i bought mine at gc for i think 280. worth every peny. even though it's a pain to carry, the sound and vibe is just to cool to sell.

10. Rockbobmel

It is not an SVT Jr. :scowl: BUT, is is the fattest (Except for my Sunn 2000S)amp sound around.!! The SVT is thinner sounding with more mid snarl. Mine KILLS with my Eden 410xlt, but does runs out of steam with my 8-10. I'll NEVER sell mine.!!!

11. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I made a comment to my wife about the one at Sam Ash in Buffalo Grove and she said she wouldn't mind going as long as we'd go to Schaumburg and go to The Container Store there.

So I called up Sam Ash and it's actually a straight up V4, not a V4B. :crying:

Oh well, the search continues I guess.

12. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    My geetar player has a '67 VT-22 2x12 combo that he rarely uses. That sucker is damn heavy and LOUD! It can easily go toe to toe with his '68 Fender Twin volume-wise. Definitely a cool amp.

13. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Thanks for the comparison! I think at this point I'd be open to either vintage or recent models, depending on its condition. I like the fact that you mentioned that you can get a cleaner sound at higher levels out of the newer V4BH, yet I like that the 70s has that sweet tube OD at lower levels. I guess I could always use my Fulltone Bassdrive to give some added clean boost into a newer one to help get to that tubalicious 70s grind.

Damn I wish I could find one around here! :(

14. Rockbobmel

WHOAH!!!!! Mine is a V-4 also (VT-22) It is the SAME amp only with reverb. The tone controls may have different values, but you just adjust them accordingly. GET IT OR REGRET IT.!!! :D :cool:

15. +1

I have the V4. You actually get MORE features: reverb plus the cool midrange adjustment. Exact same power amp and only very tiny differences in the preamp EQ.

Wanna play bass? Flip the Midrange switch to 300 and turn the Reverb off.

Wanna play screaming, Stones "Get Yer Ya-Ya's" leads on the guitar? Dial in a little reverb and play with the Midrange setting.

16. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sorry to get your hopes up Mike, next time I'll have to pay more attention. Good luck with the search though.

17. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    So you guys think I should do it, huh? And it's worth a 2.5 hour drive to pick it up? (not that I mind the drive) I won't be missing out on any bottom end even though the preamp is voiced differently?

Hey Ralphdaddy, you wouldn't happen to be stopping by that store before this weekend again, would you?

18. Rockbobmel

No Man!! You ain't missin any lows with this. I use one with a 4-10xlt Eden Low Bflat No Prob. Thick rich. You might luck out and it'l have some old tubes in it. Mine has the same GEs from 1986.
    It's the SAME amp.!! :D

19. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sorry Mike, probably not going to be able to make it there before the weekend. I don't go there much as it's like 25 minutes from my house, but if I do you'll be the first to know how that baby sounds. Try calling them and placing a hold on it, or have them check the tubes inside it, they're friendly enough that they might go for it. Good luck.

20. Rockbobmel

I'd drive 2.5 hours one way for a good Ice Cream Cone.!!