1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Curtis Mayfield Bass Fuzz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by joshuajbrooks, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. joshuajbrooks

joshuajbrooks

Jan 25, 2017
    hey everyone,

been listening to a lot of Curtis Mayfield recently and have found it very hard to track down any info about his bass player, Joseph "lucky" Scott, and specifically any sort of insight into how he got his bass fuzz. It's such a great tone. Anyone got any hints, suggestions or know any pedals to mess around with. I play a jazz bass into an ampeg b15 flip top.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I always thought it might have been the one built into the Acoustic 360s back then. I love his playing!

JimK likes this.
  3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Can you post an example? I find myself thinking of Larry Graham's bass fuzz... I think I remember reading that he used the built-in fuzz on the old Acoustic amps and a Juggernaut after that.

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999

Brio, Correlli and JimK like this.
  5. Michael4bass

Michael4bass

Aug 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    That's the Acoustic 360 fuzz. There was a company that made the 360 preamp in a pedal assembled or as a kit, not sure if they're still in business though. A cheap alternative is the Bass Brassmaster kit;
    Maestro Brass Master | General Guitar Gadgets

Bassically, Michael

saabfender likes this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I recall an old Guitar Player magazine with a 'Pro's Reply' on a very young Ralphe Armstrong (19 at the time?)...he mentioned using a Maestro Brass Master (Jazz bass w/ a fretless P-neck).

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Playing that one right now...channeling Mel Schacher or what?!?
    :D

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    In my old man memory I seem to remember Grand Funk’s producer Terry Knight taking credit for Mel’s distortion by poking holes in his speakers.

9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Naw, it’s just his 6550(or KT88)powered West amps cranked to literally meltdown volume.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Terry Knight claimed credit for everything

MattZilla and jerry like this.
  11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm a big lucky scott fan, one of my biggest influences. Every live/studio photo i've ever seen of him he's playing a Fender Showman into a 2x15 Fender Cab with likely JBL D140F speakers EXCEPT 2 photos. One is in Europe some off brand german rig. The other is an Acoustic 360 rig, which is likely what the fuzz tone on this is.

Joseph "Lucky" Scott

check out that thread for more info.

JimK likes this.
  12. joshuajbrooks

joshuajbrooks

Jan 25, 2017
    thanks for all the info. So it seems that an acoustic 360 fuzz pedal or maybe one of the Malekko B:Assmaster might do the trick. Anyone have experience with either? I assume the malekko is a little more versatile? will dig into that other fourm tonight.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow...just looked at some of the prices (Reverb.com) for a Maestro Brassmaster.
    Forget it.

14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I bought one of the ones made from a kit for a good price, it didn't turn me into Ralph Armstrong so I gave it to one of my guitar buddies.;)

JimK likes this.
  15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The malekko bassmaster us supposed to be a clone and they are reasonably priced.