Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juzblan, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Juzblan

Juzblan

Nov 23, 2004
    Australia
  2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Looking good... :) The curves still look a little rough though. Did you do the laminations yourself?

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Very original. The upper horn curves behind the neck? I'd like to see that.
    Nice placement of the strat jack- it kind of makes sense that way.
    I'm guessing that you have it laid out so that the pickups just barely fall into positions with a flat area to mount them? Should be interesting to see the hardware mounted.
    What kind of headstock will be on that thing?

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    reminds me of a ritter... just a little bit though.

Nice sculpting!

5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    mmm I like. post more pics in the futur please :)

6. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    very nice...very evil looking

7. I wouldn't. I'd break my wrist or my fingers if the horn came back behind the neck, or potentially impale myself on the horn trying to reach for high frets.

8. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I can't answer for him but I don't think it does. Look a the number of "strips" in the neck. he would have had to add more to that little section in the back and teh horn itself shows little sign of concaving down in that sense.

9. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I'm working on a bass myself. You might be able to find my initial sketches and design mockups if you dig through my message history. I am currently working on it but haven't posted on it in a long time. Having a kid kinda does that.....

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hmmm...a BassLab STD knockoff, in plywood and with more extreme top horn...

Well, looks cool, but you'd better be in full control of your left thumb..... :crying:

11. It looks alive. Kewl grain patterns? What kind of wood is that?

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Incredibly cool, I love the multi-laminate look! Keep the pics coming, and hopefully sound clips, should be pretty sweet.

13. I guess I'll throw in a dissenting opinion here.

I think it's a shame! :scowl:

A whole lotta work on an interesting design, with difficult execution, pointing to an extraordinary instrument AND...

...it gets botched with a clunky Stratocaster jackplate just stuck on top of a nice contour (which it really doesn't conform to) and even on top of some of that wild layering as if the plate was something we should be oooing and ahhhing about. It's as hideous as a third eye. It is a fatal flaw in the design IMO and it's a feature that could have been easily worked into the overall scheme without calling attention to it.

That's my opinion, I welcome yours. :meh: