1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mart356, Jul 19, 2008.

1. mart356

mart356

Feb 16, 2008
    im thinking of getting a custom bass.

how do i go about getting one made for me?

thnx

2. Establish a price range. Figure out what options you want/need. Then figure out who can do that in your price range.

3. mart356

mart356

Feb 16, 2008
    i know what i want and what my price range is, but who do i go to and things like that?

4. look around on the web for names (talkbass)

check out:

nordstrand
    sadowsky
    nino valenti
    mike lull

ETC ETC ETC, there are many to choose from actually.

once you have an idea of which is right for you, look into the ordering process for that individual maker

5. Kinda depends on what you want. Most builders have a specialty or two. CB and Stambaugh are great, but probably not the company you'd need if you want a Jazz clone. Bebense might not be ideal if you want a bass....this decade! Fender Custom Shop is probably out of the question if you want a fanned fret 7, etc.

What exactly are you looking for?

6. mart356

mart356

Feb 16, 2008
    i want a jazz bass, and u know how marble looks? i want that except in green for my body and a gold face plate with a precision neck, 4 string, sorry, i do not know all the technical terms for basses

7. Not to sound condescending or anything, but it doesn't really sound like you know exactly what you want and one post from Feb suggested you haven't been playing bass for very long. It's usually best to wait a while and play dang near anything you can get your hands on. Until you know exactly what you want, it's a waste of money.

8. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
  9. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    Hi,

I have gathered quite a few links on my website. Check out the bass section - not all of them are luthiers offering custom made instruments, but most of them are...

http://mybass.dk/links_gear_bass.htm#bass

10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    You almost described a G&L L-2000...which can do a Jazz bass sound very well. And has the wide, P-bass, neck. Or try Valenti or have someone put together a Warmoth bass. Be prepared to pay over a grand, at least.

To get the color pattern you want you may have to find someone who just does custom guitar painting...not building.

11. Yep.. that's what I ment.. That's what happens when you try typing while selling strings :D

12. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Judging by your posts a custom bass may not be a great idea as it'd be better to play longer and get a feel for what you really want in a bass.

But, if you fall in love with a certain bass or make. Go for it, no matter of the price. You may as well be happy.

13. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    Carvin.com

14. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1000

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Agree 100%. If you don't even know the correct terms, you're going to have a very hard time conveying to a luthier what it is you're looking for

Agree on the G&L thing, too. Only they offered a finish that is what you're looking for. It was called "Green Swirl" and I think it was only in the early/mid '90s. Then all you'd have to do is add the gold pickguard.

Check this post for examples of the Swirl finish.

16. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    hmmm..some kind of greenish burl perhaps for a top? anybody can really build a jazz copy..and i agree that judging from the way you talk about this bass you want, youd be better off with a piece of junk untill you really know what you want. dont waste your money.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021