Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pickebass, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Thinking about getting a custom/boutique bass next year... Looking at something non J bass like. With regards to the builder, more interested in who was easy to work with, provided you with helpful feedback to get the sound you wanted in your head not the sound that the builder is known for.

Undecided as to how much I will spend

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Low End would be a fantastic option, but I think he said non-J-Style. They might do something non-J if you asked REAlly nice, or you could call Benevente. My suggestion would be Chris Stambaugh, I LOVE his stuff!!!!

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

Not sure... I think it will probably be somewhere between 2k-5k (depends on the builder options etc.)

5. Chris Benavente
    Pete Skjold or
    Matt Schmill (FBB basses).

6. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I'll second Chris Benavente, he is wonderful to work with. My custom 219B has far exceeded every expectation I had for it (and they were high I assure you ;)). Worth every penny.

7. Rob Green the owner of Status Graphite in England does not do usually J-style and is a excellent to deal with.
    You may have to pay customs though.
    Check www.status-graphite.com and do not hesitate to send emails.
    I agree that graphite is not for everyone.
    But once you get used to it, ard to go back to wood!!!
    :)

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Third for Chris!

My fretless 6 P bass is a better bass then I could have ever dreamed, yet is exactly as I wanted :bassist:

(my fretted 5 ain't so bad either!)

9. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I found Fred at BEE Basses to be very helpful and he was able to take my sound wants and bring them to life.

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Non J bass like.... :(

I second Carey Nordstrand. :)

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Best of luck finding the builder who will make your wants a reality. Their are alot of talented builders out their i am sure you will find one.

13. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Michael Dolan's work is second to none (I've owned 2), and he really goes out of his way to work with you to get what YOU want. He's the only luth I'd recommend without hesitation.

14. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    +1 for dolan.

i live 10 min from his shop, he does some completly awsome work, check him out and ask to see his 6 string multi laminate body bass, its friggin crazy.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Keith Roscoe built me a bass a few years ago. Good guy with lots of good ideas

Rob

16. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    You should also give Matt Pulcinella a call and talk to him. He built me a custom 5 string set up like a Stingray 5 that I can't live with out. He will put whatever electronics and pickups you want on it.A custom bass will run about 1800.00+,but he also builds a few extra for sale on his website that typically go for around 1600.00. Typical build time is about 4 months,and well worth the wait. Give him a call.But hurry, I'm calling him on Monday to start on my 3rd level 5.Good luck.

17. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Also give Martin Peterson at the Gallery in London a go. He makes really good basses and is always helpful. :hyper: some very nice designs. www.seibass.com

Or Jens Ritter who makes anything, but J-basses. There are some really cool designs, so if you intend on spending ALOT of money, go Ritter. ritter-basses.com

those are my sugestions

Peik

18. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    My recommendation would be Keith Roscoe.
    Fantastic person to deal with, super responsive to calls and emails and as far as the final product...
    in about 10 hours I'll show you a couple of examples.

19. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Yeah, check out Benavente or Nordstrand... Fantastic looking instruments! Or like Peik says; a Sei Bass...

20. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Keith Roscoe and for a non J bass check out Devon Smullen. Devon is a great guy to work with and will build you what you ask for, Check out his site.