1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Erikthejunkie, May 21, 2011.

1. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    So my musical Mentor has a custom bass that i fall in love with every time i play:D

SO my question to all of you is
    1.where can i build/order/buy a custom bass
    2.Price
    3.and What does your custom bass look like?
    :help:

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    1, you'd probably build it at home or a workshop/order one from many many builders/or buy one from many bass stores.
    2, totally variable from 1.5k to 15k+
    3, mine is a trans green and maple 5 string :D.

Know what brand your mentor's is? Though of asking him where he got his? What was it like? Any mass produced stuff in a similar vein?

3. Jenra

Jenra

Feb 18, 2011
    Aalborg - Denmark
    1: Build it yourself where you have opportunity or buy it like i did from Sandberg or one of the other custom shops around :)
    2: Mine is 3k but you can practically get it for any price :)
    3: The way you want it to? :D

4. The bass that I am getting custom made for me is a Pavel. Pavel De La Fuente makes killer basses, whose company specializes in custom orders.

My Pavel that is getting made for me is a 5 string Jazz bass, Cocobolo top, Mohogany core, set neck(not a bolt on), birds eye maple neck and board, and some killing bartolini jazz custom pickups. I got this bass totally to my specs, and everything I could ever want from a bass is going into it. even down to a custom shaped neck. And after all that, (and a ton of searching around), Pavel gave me more bass for the $. Pavel is a definite way to go.

Also. there are some companies out there that make custom basses for $30,000.... Most ALL customs don't cost near that much. You can get a custom bass, with your dream bass sound, and all your specs for $3,000, and many different luthiers can do this for you. But remember: money shouldn't necessarily be the deciding factor in choosing a custom bass. I went with a Custom Pavel to get the perfect tone, feel, and playability possible. If you go custom, you should think about what the perfect tone and feel is for you. And you tell the luthier what you want out of a bass. And If the Luthier is worthy, will build you the perfect bass, with all your specs and tonal needs. they often come with sweet "easter eggs" that the builder will use in the bass.

Also. what I love about customs is that you get a perfect bass made for you, that will be with you for many, many years. I know that my Pavel bass will most likely be the last big investment in a bass that I will ever make. not because buying basses is difficult, but because this bass will suit me perfectly in every situation, and every style that I will ever play. to me, THAT is the beauty of customs.
    www.pavelmi.com
    148690_1666000442801_1020983444_1830925_5060972_n. 148444_1665998442751_1020983444_1830919_1629030_n.

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Mine's a Tom Clement. Tom's a solo luthier in Florida. He's one of the most reasonably priced craftsmen you'll likely ever find. Mine is my avatar but I never get tired of showing it off so here it is:

Clementbody.

Its got a burled redwood top over a swamp ash body. :hyper:

Now there are certain things Tom doesnt do: neck thru's, and colored finishes are the main 2 things. But he does pretty much everything else, and he does things VERY well! His woodworking is impeccable and he's an excellent communicator. He sends progress pics of your build at every opportunity and he'll adjust things to your personal preferences.

6. I think some luthiers forget this:

Custom - adjective:

Made to the specifications of an individual customer (often in the combinations custom-built, custom-made)

A lot of "custom" places only make variations of their regular stock. Very few places will build you a bass you designed yourself.

7. so true..... yet in my case i like the jazz style.;)

8. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I would check out Valenti basses as well.

9. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I've met Nino and played a couple of his basses. He's quite a guy and he builds some GREAT basses, but he's not a custom luthier in the strictest sense. He makes P & J basses only- as far as I'm aware, he does not do any other body shapes.

But he does offer a pretty wide array of options on his basses as far as electronics, woods, finish colors, etc. 2 years ago I played an Inca Silver 5 string jazz he built and let me tell you, I was GASing for that bass for WEEKS!! His fret work and setups are beyond compare!

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    It's a hard distinction to make, I'd certainly call him a custom builder, if you want a custom based on a Fender...

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    You might want to check out the luthier section here at TB. Not only can you find custom builders, but you can see the quality of their work in all the stages of the build.

I know John K. builds exquisite basses and Prat basses are very impressive too. (Although I don't think his website does justice to the quality of his work.)

Also, if you have lots of patience to go through a long list of brands go here:
    The Bass Directory - Terri's Bass-Aholic
    Not all of them are custom builders but many are - you just have to sort through them.
    There are a lot of great ones listed including ones like Jersey Girl that really do some different things.
    Jersey Girl Homemade Guitars

13. David A. Egeler

David A. Egeler

Aug 4, 2008
    There ya go !!!!!! Looks like you have to check out Dingwall, georgous Spalted Maple top !!!!! While you're there, look at Ken Smiths, Ken Lawrence basses & Zon !!!!!! Never know what you'll find !!