1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Custom" Fender??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shaboda, Mar 24, 2009.

1. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    Is it me or does this stick out like a sore thumb?
    The tuners, the logo... even the way the control plate looks..
    how is this person not being nailed for not saying fender COPY? or Fender STYLE?
    Looks like generic all parts stuff on it...

This should be pulled from the bay... dont you guys think?
    :ninja:
    thought it was interesting....

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-Hand-Crafted-One-of-a-Kind-NEW_W0QQitemZ140308142795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item140308142795&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree, and I reported it.

3. the engine

the engine Guest

The Skunk stripe is the first thing that gave it away to me. No USA Fender should have that if I recall correctly. The fact that the builders wife "plays BASE" stopped me from reading any further.

4. Probably buys Fender necks off of eBay and then adds a Mighty Mite body and some cheap hardware.

5. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    Yeah it looked like a cheap body---like mighty mite or something--the neck might even be that too...

You can even tell the way the control plate LOOKS on the body... it just looks WRONG :meh: .. and that headstock logo too...

I would hate to think that someone that doesnt know any better would get suckered into buying something like this...

.....talkbass users making ebay safer.... one 'bad fender knock-off report' at a time. :cool:

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    This amazes me. Why does someone go to all the trouble of making a fake Fender just to get an extra $2-300 for a bass? They are going to get caught, they might get tossed off of eBay, and they do all this for a few extra bucks? If these people would put their effort into legitimate business, they would make out better in the end. STUPID!

Custom Fender. Yeah. That's the ticket! :meh:

7. Look at the guy's other listings and you'll see several Fender type guitars and basses. The ones that have Fender necks are advertised as Fenders. The ones with aftermarket necks aren't. I didn't look at them all but one of them had a MIM serial number on it.

8. Here's from a Strat listing.

FENDER STRATOCASTER GUITAR

* Hand Crafted - each instrument is an individual - a true One-of-a-Kind!

* ONE YEAR Warranty on Workmanship

* Candy Apple Red
    * 2009 Fender All AMERICAN
    * Serial # Z7269783
    * Free Shipping, Lower 48 only
    * But we do sell World Wide!!!!

Anyone making an investment such as this will want to read the next few lines.

This Guitar has been built by ONE person, a Minnesota Musician, in his own home-shop. This is how we used to do things in this country . . . . . items made by hand . . . . piece by piece. This musician/artist has played guitar for 40 years or so and has been repairing and building for over a decade. He plays lead guitar himself and his lovely wife plays base. They know music. Music is in their blood and they're very well known in this area.

This gentleman is a new client of mine - and I'm excited and proud to be presenting his hand-crafted pieces to the eBay world.

The craftsmanship by this man is apparent in every detail. Each guitar has been put together with care and passion. AND he stands behind his work - offering a one-year warranty on his work.

Everything used to construct each piece is NEW. There is NO way you could be Disappointed with this Fender.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

You are not recalling correctly.

Plenty of MIA Fenders have skunk stripes.

No, fairly current production MIA's don't, but a whole lot of them do.

My 78 Precision certainly did, and they didn't make them any where else at the time other then Ca.

That guy should be reported though. Clearly not a Fender product. I'm not aware of any Fenders made in Minnesota by ONE PERSON.

10. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    His other auctions look fishy too.

11. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
  12. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Anyone have a contact in Fender's legal department.

Go for the juggular.

13. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Anyone have a contact in Fender's legal department.

Go for the jugular.

14. Check out his other listings at the bottom of the page.One of the "bases"listed has 92% genuine Fender parts.92%!!!!I'm in for sure!!!

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Sure. It's Leo's great grandson. He hand carves each body like the good old days. He winds his own pickups, too. Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket. Santa's elves pack the guitars and basses in special fairy dust when they are mailed out. It gives these instruments instant mojo. No, wait, the Easter Bunny delivers these basses, not the post office. And he leaves a carrot on your doorstep, too. Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket!

Seriously, someone who knows someone in the Fender company, report this guy. I'd like a public lynching!

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I used the "ask seller a question" to ask him about this, built by one person in Minesota thing.

He claims that the builder bought the body and neck, and built it from the ground up. Also that he only uses Fender parts.

Total B.S. That's certainly not an American Fender neck. Looks like a Mighty Mite to me.

I emailed him back asking for the serial number on the neck, as it does not appear to be a genuine Fender neck,nor Fender tuners. I'm sure I'll get a swift replpy. LOL!!

Guy's a scammer.

17. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Anything new??

18. I think it's unlikely eBay will do anything about it as they have no one with any expertise in musical instruments and no manufacturer breathing down their neck.

19. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    the guy is a jerk-off.... here, I am gonna go BUILD A CUSTOM Banana Crate.......