1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom lexan pick guard!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Ok this project started out as me wanting to put a satin finsh on my mustang bass. So i started a thread about that and asked some questions. Got great responses! So last night i decided i was going to go through with it and started tearing the bass down.

And that is where everything changed. While pulling the pick gaurd and cover plate i found an amazingly clean pickup route. And there was no bath tub route between the pick ups and countrol area. They tunneled the wires! And the finsh was amazing under the guard. They went out of there way for an area that is hidden buy a gaurd!

So now i didnt want to put the gaurd back on it looked way better with out it to me. But i didnt know what to do about the empty screw holes. So me and a budy started kicking ideals around. And then it hit us. Make a clear clear pick guard.

So here are the progress and finsh photo links.
    http://s1135.beta.photobucket.com/u...rt=3&o=2&_suid=136090185742006418956133786315

After the gaurd was done i decided that a satin body woudnt look right with a high gloss lexan gaurd so i left the body glossy. I think it turned out great!

2. Fixed link but still cant get pics in oreder. But heck there is only 5 youll get the ideal.

3. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Likey!

4. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Nice.

5. Very cool. Nice and clean. How did you cut it?

6. I work in a large shop so i have many tools and machines availible to me. I cut the blank from a 4x8 sheet using a sheer. I then used a band saw to rough cut it. I used a belt sander to fine cut it. And did the finsh work with dremel and files.