Custom pickup covers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ehinkley, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ehinkley

ehinkley Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I was curious to hear from any of you in regards to custom pickup covers. I've been looking for 5 string jazz pickup covers that are either white, off-white, or a maple if wood is my only option. I found a couple of places overseas that sell white pickup covers for 4 strings, but have had no luck otherwise.
    Any help from you guys would be most appreciated. If I had to have them custom made, that would be fine as well.

2. i would suggest just home remedy-ing that... i recently painted the electronics plate on the back of my ibanez metallic green, with some paint i picked up at a hobby shop. If you can find covers that aren't epoxyed on to the electronic component, AND you're not worried about your own handiwork, I'd suggest a little Macgyver action.

The paint I picked up didn't even need a clear coat, i think it was Testor's brand.

Im planning on making my pups white, too, once i get my hands on some SD quarter pounders

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I painted mine white. Krylon has a new paint that is made especially to bond to plastics. It's for things like outdoor kid's toys, outdoor furniture, and the like. It sticks well, does not flake, and looks like the plastic is really white - not just painted white.
    I think it's called Krylon Fusion.

And it comes in other colors too!

4. ehinkley

Aug 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    That doesn't affect the sound at all?

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Not any more than Canare or Monster (or any other $$premium$$) cables! :smug:

It's just paint on plastic.

6. ehinkley

Aug 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you. I would be putting them over Nordstrand pickups. The Nordstrands themselves come with the covers that expose the pole pieces. I have the original covers that are solid that I suppose I could try this out on first.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021