1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

custome amp help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevinjack, May 1, 2010.

1. kevinjack

kevinjack

Oct 3, 2008
    nashville tn
    so after playing bass today at a church, me and the sound guy were talking and i got an idea to turn my behringer bxl1200a combo bass amp into a sub amp (the power amp is blown and the speaker is good). i run an SVT 4 pro and an 8x10 so i was thinking about crossing low signals to the behringer speaker. i was going to put a speakon jack on the cab as well. my question is could the speak handle it and does anyone know the specs on the speaker. also the cab is ported now but should i plug the holes?

thanks-kevin

2. I would not waste my time..............

Behringer speakers are far from being close to great, and definitley are not designed to have the high X-max necessary to perform as a sub. The speaker is probably only rated for close to the output power of the combo.

Also, the cabinet it is mounted in is not properly designed for work as a sub.

Lastly, putting that one lone poorly designed speaker up against a 8X10 would be futile.

You would not be able to hear the one speaker above the 8X10, and I am quite sure that the 8X10 will outperform it in low end anyway.

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Aint that the truth!:bassist:

4. kevinjack

kevinjack

Oct 3, 2008
    nashville tn
    so should i just stop this project and rock out with my 8x10 or should i get a good like 12 inch of 15 inch speaker? if i should get a better speaker what kind should i get????

thanks-kev

5. Just stop..................

The cabinet that the combo is made for is not even made properly to be a bass cabinet. It is made to be small and convenient - not for performance.

If you really needed a sub configuration to compliment your 8X10, it would need to be about the size of the 8X10, and hold 2 18's.

6. kevinjack

kevinjack

Oct 3, 2008
    nashville tn
    gosh you are sooo right thanks for the advice....if i wanted to get some 15's what would be a good brand to go with??

7. Are you waiting for someone to say that your idea is great and you should go ahead and implement it??

Not going to happen!

Your have a poorly designed speaker cabinet with a low grade speaker mounted in it. Even with a great driver installed it's still going to be a poorly designed speaker cabinet. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

Don't waste your money.

Paul