1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Customer service

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Does anyone out here have any comments about customer service from the bass manufacturers? Is there a 'best' customer service out there? I know when you buy a computer, a lot of people look for best "tech support" and that will sometimes enhance a sale. Thats the sort of thing I'm looking to find out.

2. Most people find the bass that speaks to them and worry about customer service if the need arises. What good is customer service if the bass doesn't fit you in the first place?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We've had this thread before. Pretty much all of the custom bass builders out there have excellent customer service, except that one guy.

From my own direct experience, Sadowsky, Fodera, F Bass, Drozd and Lakland all have great customer service. While I haven't needed service from Bud LeCompte, I have no doubts he takes care of his customers.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

In my experience, without a doubt, Sadowsky has the best customer service. :cool:

5. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Kev.

Thats what I figured too.

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    From personal experience I can tell you Sadowsky customer service is amazing, and this was just for accessory, pick up and string purchases. I've yet to own a Sadowsky bass.

Some companies have good customer service, it just takes more time because the company is big and communications are slower. That's a big advantage in dealing with smaller companies, IMO. Quick communications with the right person in the first place.

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    If I have to worry about a bass builder having good customer service, I have to worry about the quality of the product and why would I buy their product if that were the case? Comparing basses to computers is just not a good comparison...

8. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Matt Schmill, FBB luthier, is the best! Basses are excellent builds, as high quality as any of the more popular boutique basses on the market.

9. Erine ball has great CS, Rickenbacker has horrible CS.

10. DownhillWillie

DownhillWillie

May 22, 2007
    Ric once shipped me an axe with a dead pickup.
    They made me buy a replacement!!
    Should have just sent it back.....I'm off RIC's for good!

11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have no experience with custom builders, I assume part of the experience with them is excellent CS.

I have had really good experiences with EBMM every single time.

String manufacturers also have surprised me with how well they have treated me. Strings must be a very high margin business with loyalty a big factor.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Barker Vertical Bass. Lee Barker is the designer, builder, receptionist........

13. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Haven't dealt with them lately, but Alembic was great in the past. I live less than an hour from them, so I drove up there. I dealt with Micah, Ron Wickersham's daughter, primarily and Ron himself. Easy to deal with.

14. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

Sep 24, 2011
    Hawaii
    The Lakland company has excellent response to inquiries.

15. :D After that thread, I know where not to go after I win Powerball.

16. That's an understatement. Everybody should play an FBB for a day. It's really hard to pick up another bass afterwards. My FBB turned out to be a total GAS killer. Now I'm selling my other basses.

And he never avoided me or lied about anything. Big pluses.

17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    EBMM +1

18. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I like to think I'm pretty good...

19. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I know it's a little different, but I just had a great customer service experience today with Bestbassgear.com. I will certainly shop there in the future.

20. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Great customer service certainly does come with a price tag though. I looked at Sadowsky's price list and I was blown away.

Plus, If $1500 spent on an "American Made" instrument doesn't buy you a decent customer service, then I, for one, no longer feel that I need to buy what I believe is an expensive bass. I can get "NO Customer Service" for a lot less. Provided that the bass is of decent quality of course.

On the other hand, if $3000 is within the budget, then that is the way to go.