Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cutting a 2x10 in half

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moo, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    This is my latest hare brained idea in my quest for mini cabs. Cutting an old 4 ohm Eden D210T in half!

Sure I'd lose the tweeter I never use, have to find a new grill and the total weight would be a bit more than it is now but I should have 2 8 ohm 1x10 cabs that when used together will sound a lot like it did as a single cab.

Since the new minis would still have the same amount of volume and porting per speaker it should work, right? I've heard that 2 2x10's will sound louder than a 4x10 with the same total volume so I think this may actually work out nice.

I'm really liking this idea and have access to a table saw. Can anyone think of why this would suck? Assuming I don't cut my fingers off and remember to put a new side over the giant holes this leaves of course.

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Well, it'd work, but for all the effort it'd take to cleanly cut up the old cab...wouldn't it be more effective to keep the old cab intact, and just make two entirely new cabs?

Many times modifying something takes more effort than making something from scratch. Trying to get clean cuts on the cab you've got, then joining the new sides on precisely....might sound easy. But I've messed around with old cabs and it's not easy to get everything cut and matched up with a big box that's already joined together. I'm not sure how smoothly I could feed an existing cab into my table saw (though it's a decent size Delta contractor's saw).

Anyhow, my advice would be to keep your cab as-is and just make or buy two new ones. There's a market for used intact Edens (but usually not for two pieces of an Eden) if you should choose to sell it.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Your idea sounds like too much work than it is worth. Why not draw up some plans and make them from scratch? That way there are not any odd angles to fix (i.e. the Hole from the horn). Whatever you do you should build something, have some fun. I am thiniking of doing the same, building a cab just for fun to see how it comes out.

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Cool, so far it seems the science is right.

I hear what you guys are saying about starting from scratch, my thinking is I haven't been able to sell it as is and parts for the new ones would be more than I could get for the old cab. The only expense this way is one sheet of 18"x36" plywood and some new corners.

By hacking the old box the speaker holes, handle holes, ports and all but one board is in place. I'm going to start, I'll post pics as I go. :)

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The project is moving forward. Here's a pic of the box unmolested and completely stripped & sanded, ready to be cut. I'll be cutting it Tuesday.

Attached Files:

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I was also hoping to run some graphs in WinISD comparing the Eden driver with some offers from Eminence or other inexpensive drivers. I'm not too comfortable in WinISD but if anyone feels like running this for me or knows the specs for the Eden drivers I'd appreciate it. I'm interested in the upgrade possibilities for this mini box.

Here's a drawing with all the needed (I think) specs on the new box design.

Any general advice from people who actually know what they're doing would be welcome. I've been reading stuff on the net but this is a first speaker project for me and I wouldn't mind skipping all the newbie mistakes.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. it won't sound the same... i hope you know that.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's downright hilarious. Where do you get that from this thread??? Have you read ANY of the threads here at TalkBass about cabinet design, T/S parameters, and DIY cabs?

9. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Nope. Don't think it works that way. Did anyone say it did?

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The it'll work part. ;)
    Tons of them here and on other forums, I actually started one of my own threads looking for more info. Also I have a friend who has 2 1x10 Eden cabs this size and they sound great.

Do you have anything specific wrong with this project? I was hoping for more useable info than just scolding for experimenting. I have read a number of times that to double the amount of drivers you double the volume so it seems to make sense the inverse works, and Eden did sell them this way ;)

11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've read it a few times, hope it's accurate ;)

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, it'll work, but it'll likely sound like poo.

And what are the T/S parameters of the speakers in his compared to those in yours? Do you even know, or are you relying on the assumption that all Eden 10's are identical?

The smaller the box, the less room for error with the displacement figures and tuning. Every piece of internal bracing will affect the port requirements. Have you done any calcs as to the size of the port of your new half cab, or do you just plan on keeping one-half of the original port (it doesn't work that way, but if you read the other threads, you already know that).

I can't give you any positive recommendations because you haven't posted any data. If there's no data, then I can only post that you are shooting blind against the side of a barn, and the little 10" target on the side of the barn might get hit, but probably not.

Is a blindfolded man shooting at a barn REALLY an experiment? I guess it is, depending on your definition of "experiment", but I don't have to be clairvoyant to see where this is going. :bag:

13. I can see this turning into a disaster. You're going to have to change the length of those ports, and to do that with a slot port is going to be a PITA and its going to mess up your cabinet volume.

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    You sir have entirely too much free time on your hands. :D

15. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    hahaha... Man, that's kind of harsh Eric.
    Let him experiment and then tell us how it went. ;)

16. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    It's not.

Eric might be a "little harsh" as one put it, but he is basically right. You have to redesign the cabinet from scratch, not just cut it in half ports and all. If you do that and it works, it will be pure luck, as he was trying to say. Designing a cab to be the equal of the Eden 1X10s is not easy, it is not an "experiment" but a year or two of experiments, and I would predict on no specific information that the assessment that it will sound like poo carries a higher probability than the hoped-for outcome.

But, anyone who puts a link to Laurie's website in their sig perhaps deserves a break on the odds, so I hope it turns out OK if you go ahead with it. Worst that happens, you lose a great cab and get two spare drivers in return...

17. why stop at cutting a 2-10 cab in half....i say cut a 1-10 cab in half. it'll weigh next to nothing and sound like poo...
    :bag:

seriously though, i guess people thought steve azola was a little warped experimenting with his fenderbacker bass, or whatever it was called. but nobody is laughing today...

18. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Is that a bad thing?
    I'm not sure, did you read the part were I asked if any one had the specs for these drivers?
    But only half as many chances to make mistakes ;)
    Did you see where I gave the spec for the internal volume minus the bracing?
    Yes, I've done calcs in WinISD and was asking for help with that. The results I've gotten look okay.
    I posted a chart with all internal volumes and a top, side and front layout including the all important volume minus bracing. I've also asked for specs on my particular driver. What other data is there that I'm missing?
    There's a few other things you don't have to be either ;)

19. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Could you be more specific?

20. My advice would be to make sure when you cut the cab in half, you cut it between the drivers. Make sure you do not cut each 10" driver in half in the process.

Randy