1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cutting a jazz bass body! Need spec some info.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cstar, Aug 23, 2012.

1. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Hey guys,

I snagged a nice swamp ash bass body blank a few weeks ago and bit the bullet and started carving out my first body.:hyper:

I'm a jazz bass guy and so naturally I'm doing a j body. It has gone flawlessly so far, but I am getting ready to do the pup routing and I need some info.

I know that 60s jazz basses have a different location for the bridge pup than 70s jazz basses. I guess in the 70s, CBS moved the bridge pup closer to the bridge? In order to hide it completely under the bridge cover, but also causing it to sound a little more twangy? Correct me if that's wrong, it's just what I've heard.

I'm a huge fan of the 60s sound so I want to go with 60s spacing on this body... so, can anyone provide me with specs that I can use to locate my pups? Thanks.

Oh and pics to follow!:bassist:

2. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    hi, there are tons of 60s/70s J info around. all the best with your build.

3. Cotsey

Cotsey

Sep 14, 2011
    This should be everything you need - it's a complete diagram of the JB body.

Attached Files:

4. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Thank you very much, that is an excellent resource! Much appreciated.