Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D and Eb necks

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by hoedown_j, Mar 20, 2005.

1. hoedown_j

hoedown_j

Mar 3, 2005
    Well I was just reading about this in an old thread I found on the search and was wondering why there are different types like this. If I got a bass with an Eb neck, would it be a problem to switch back and forth to a D neck? My school has a Kay, which has a D neck, and I would be practicing at school with it, but practicing at home and playing concerts with the Eb neck. Would this be a big problem?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Like anything else, if you're switching back and forth all of the time it's not a big deal. At least after some initial 'getting used to'.

Why the difference is that basses are as non-standard as it gets, and this is one example.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I play on both currently and it's only a problem for those notes if at all and only the first few minutes. Warm up on the Bass a few minutes and then it's done. You will remember where to place your fingers in the 5th and 6th positions after playing D, Eb and up to Bb scales going up the G string.

This week I will rehearse in two different Orchestras on an Eb neck on Monday and wendesday as well as play a Chamber Group concert on thursday on a D necked Bass. Like I said, a little warm up will fix these differences including scale lengths as well.