Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D & G strings buzzing

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by guillermo, Nov 9, 2004.

1. guillermo

guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    Hi:

After playing fretless (electric) bass for 20 years , I got an UB. It's a Chineese bass and it is really cheap. Probably I shoud have saved more, say 3 times the money, and should have bougth something better, but...

I'm now stuck with this one for a while.

After 2 months the D and G string are buzzing, not the beautyfull "growl" we all like, but a nasty ugly buzz.
    A month ago it was buzzing only when F# on D string
    was payed (pizz)

How can I get rid of the buzzing, I dont really want to go to a luthier at this point in time.

Thanks a lot
    Guillermo

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The only way to get rid of the buzzing is to go to your luthier and have the fingerboard shaped.

3. Welcome to TBDB man....Adrian Is right on...being new to the DB, you owe it to yourself to dig around in the Newbie links and the Archives. Or just start paging through all the threads and posts in the sections you're most interested in. In your case, reading as much as you can in the Basses section will give you the knowledge you need to learn more about your bass. Good luck!

4. guillermo

guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    Hi again:

I read the newby posts, they are great, I still have
    another

Funny but the buzzing went away...almost all of it
    I think it is now clear that my bass is super cheap I.E. climate/humidiry changes make the crapy wood move, expand, shrink in all directions.
    In relation to that, here goes a question:

Where should I keep the bass in the house ?

- Away from the kitchen ?
    - Far from windows ?
    - In the basement ?
    - far from heating or air conditioning ?

I'll also mention that I live in Canada,
    here we go from 10 C (50 F) to minus something
    ( lower than 32 F) in just 24 hours.
    The temperatures in winter can reach -30 C (-22 F),
    but the summer it goes up to 32 C (90 F) with lot's of
    humidity

Thanks
    Guillermo

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I live in Canada too, and I don't have much problem. Just keep the bass in a humidified room during the winter when you aren't playing it. The most I have to do is raise the stings in the winter. I haven't had any problems yet.

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    do the same buzzes happen with arco? IF not then it is a set-up issue.

I keep my bass away from drafts, heaters, air conditionors. Also, make sure if you are using a corner as the resting place that these are not outside walls.

Also, you bass can be so fresh (not aged wood) that the adjustment period is going to take some time.

Good Luck.

7. bujums

bujums

Sep 19, 2004
    My Chinese Bass also has a buzz on the D & G string after some investigating we found that it was just my tail piece. A quick way to "mask" the issue is to stuff a cloth down by the cables as they come over the edge, I have to ajust mine off and on and I think it effects the sound a little. Really, the thing to do is replaice the tail piece with a good one. There is a thread up the list a little about a buzzing tail piece I suggest reading through that. By the way, I found my buzz by playing the strings and haveing another person grab areas on the bass like every seam you can think off and grabing the tail piece. Hope that is helpfull, My buzz went on for about 6 months before I figured it out!! very frustrating!!

8. guillermo

guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    Thanks a lot, I'll try have someone hold the tailpiece while I play the notes that buzz (mainly the F# on the D).
    I'll post my findings

Guillermo

9. guillermo

guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    I tried holding the tailpiece but my buzzing comes from the fingerboiard, anyhow at this point in time the buzzing is minimal I'll live with it (hoping it completely goes away)

Guillermo

10. bujums

bujums

Sep 19, 2004
    your fingerboard may have a high spot, if you can raise your strings it might help it. I am going to get an ajustable bridge to help with that myself. Otherwise I guess it probable needs to have the fingerboard worked on.