Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D# harmonic

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Joe Taylor, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I can't figure out where to get a D# harmonic, We are playing the Firebird. The last movement starts out with a D# harmonic. Where do I play it. Or am I not understanding something about the notation.

Joe

2. Laurence U.

Laurence U.

Oct 25, 2003
    London
    ummm, i played that last year with nyo, and think you'll find that its a d natural. Play it where you would find a d on the g string (in third position) and then lift your finger. I could be wrong however....

3. What do the other bass players say? tune up your G? Your teacher? If you can't get any answers here, it looks like you're in the Bay Area, call some section SF Symphony guys. Call Barry Green........

4. if this is pizz... maybe stop the D# on the D string and place your right thumb on the D# one octave higher up the neck and pull with the index finger while the thumb is still lightly on the string

i donno how u would do it otherwise

5. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Real small Orchestra! There are two of us in the section and my partner in crime is young and I'm old and only been back to playing for two years after a 20 year vacation.

My teacher is unabailable until several weeks from now.

Joe

6. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I will recheck the key signature tonight. I thought it has a ton of sharps in the key can't remember. I hope I made an oops.

Joe

7. You could tune your G string up a half step......

8. I think I mentioned that....This is what happens to us when we need new material......I'm afraid TBDB is at one of its all time lows in terms of new and exciting stuff to discuss.
    Or is it that we're all so God Damned good ? :help:

9. So, how's the weather in Denver today? :smug:

10. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Or you could try tuning your E string up a half-step if you like your D# a little flat. :bassist:

11. Yeah, I know...I'm getting old and crotchity.....

12. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I rechecked the key signature, it does call for D#. The notation is a D# with a diamond above it. In the Violin World that would be a false harmonic played by fingering a D# then touching the string with the lilttle finger. Good luck trying this on a bass.

So far I have not been able to find out how to play this note.

Still looking

Joe

13. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I don't know my overtone series too well...but I think you might be able to make the D# diamond come off the paper by fingering G# with your thumb and letting your ring finger touch the string a 5th above.

Oh yeah, and I'd keep my bow close to the bridge so the harmonic will sing out clearly.

I usually prefer to keep my mistakes, but here's the second take...

14. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I guess your best bet would either be

a) a false harmonic, using your chin . . .

b) tune your E-string down to Eb for the entire movement . . .

c) put a clamp or clothes-pin on your string below the bridge to tune to the appropriate note, and play it below the bridge if possible . . . gonna definitely sound weird, but I guess somebody's gonna do it sometime . . .

d) Play a regular friggin' note and mutter under your breath!

Good luck.

15. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I've been doing more research. I have come to the following conclusions.

The D# is what is noted D# is most likely not the note it is supposed to sound.

It is strange notation

When I find the answer I will post.

Joe

16. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    You might be right about that Joe, that the diamond directs you to place your finger on the string where the D# is, but rather than stop the note there play the natural harmonic that comes out instead.

In that case, simply set that bird on fire.

I did pick this line up: " The correct harmonic should be an F#
    played by playing the open D natural string and touching an F# in first position." This may be of benefit if holding the torch gets too uncomfortable...

17. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    The harmonic that sounds when the F# is touched is the correct note. I think it is a B I will check with my tuner tonight.

I think the confusion was caused by notation I was not familure with. There was a good thread on the 2xbass list about this very issue.

Joe

18. To me this thread was complete agony....I hope it's over. :confused:

19. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    an F# on the D string.

20. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yep. I can't imagine anyone doing this and getting a B instead.