1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D. Lakin - first batch of basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShowKing, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Gecko 5 and R&B like this.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    "Other wonderful features include Hipshot US bridge and tuners and a bone nut; high-end indeed. The addition of a bone nut is huge in my experience. I had one installed on one of my instruments, a Squier 5-string, and the effect on every note on the neck was astonishing. I had thought that the nut only affected open strings, but apparently not."​

The basses look great, but IMO this paragraph damages the writer's credibility.

3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Cool.

4. I like all the color options.

5. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I read this as a fine musician sharing his opinion. I guess I see this differently - I don't believe one paragraph is going to diminish Brad Houser's credibility. In my opinion, his enthusiasm for a bone nut is mild in comparison to some other artists and their claims. (Ridiculously priced power cables, anyone?)

I'd like to at least try one of these.

coughiefiend likes this.
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+
    +1. That is dumb. Like saying a bass with a zero fret sounds better than a bass without when playing fretted notes. How? Brad is a good writer though.

The basses are growing on me though. The ones in the article look better than the early protos. Not sure why they are all 4 strings though!

7. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Very cool- love the colors- between this and Carvin-JB- TB has even more to whine about! (Clone and headstock bitching)

What a great weekend for us bassists. So happy about the colors too.

8. It also appears rosewood is the only fingerboard option?

I'd love it if he offered ebony and maple.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkBass

9. Just a note: we can pick ANY color we want. The ones in the article are simple what the first batch of customers chose (not limited to).

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I am surprised that the Lakland sale did not include some sort of "no competition" clause. I looks like they will doing a lot of Lakland-like models, including getting two of Lakland's previous endorsers on board. But hey, a good bass is a good bass!

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have no doubt he did - but those things run out, usually after 5 or 7 years.

More thoughts:

You know, thing I used to really like about Lakland basses (I have two older ones) is that they were a bit different - different you could really see and hear; The MM p'up in the bridge, body shape - all just touch non-fender.

It looks to me that Dan has gone the way of everyone else - Nothing but well made fender clones. No slam intended I'm sure they're really nice high-end Fender Clones - but... they aren't interesting (to me, at least). If I wanted a P-bass, I'd buy a used Fender. Sorry.

f64, pacojas and metron like this.
  12. The article says the 3 year no competition clause ended so he started this new company.

It also says he will do mm+j and mm style basses in future.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  13. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    I really wanted a Brad Houser signature Reverend bass when they made them.

Sorry to go off topic.....

I can't wait to see what Dan Lakin has coming next.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Seeing as how he has a Squier, it probably had a the crappiest nut possible. If he replaced it with a properly cut nut it could well have changed his action to where his bass actually sounded better by having proper action or proper downforce at the headstock.

15. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I hadn't considered that. But, the fix you are describing isn't about the nut; it is about a proper setup. Tone-wise, the nut itself can't do anything on a fretted note. This is like the power cord myth in that it is spreading bad information.

And he plays Squiers? The article's footer says he plays Laklands.

donk likes this.
  16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This is from the article:
    The addition of a bone nut is huge in my experience. I had one installed on one of my instruments, a Squier 5-string, and the effect on every note on the neck was astonishing.

Here's how I see it, but as always..I could be wrong! If the nut is cut too low, seems that the note being played would fret out easily, choking the sound out. Having it properly cut would prevent that. Slots being too wide also would not be good. Just some thoughts!

17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I missed that part. And....good thoughts. The problems you describe have nothing to do with the nut material, though, and that was his point. So, IMO, your points are good; his is not.

I like bone nuts. Bone is hard and durable, and a good addition to this bass. Not as good as Brad Houser makes it out to be, but that doesn't stop me from being interested in these basses.

18. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Meh. If Dan wanted to stay in the bass game he should have kept his original company, kept it smaller and more in his control and just made the US a smaller custom shop and imported skylines.

Not sure where personal passions play into it when yer just slappin your name on clones.
    I know that is a simplistic take but whoopdiedoo lotsa colors.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  19. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I used to feel that way until I tried Lakland's Fender style bass at which point it was game over.

20. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That might be the lesson Dan learned. Lakland has employees. Employees like to see pay raises from time to time. In order to afford that, you have to grow your business because the market will limit you ability to continually raise your prices.

This time around, it doesn't sound like Dan has a staff. It sounds like he is using contract labor to build these.