1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D-tar Solstice Mic Input

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by oystein, Nov 3, 2004.

1. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Hi,
    I am curious about the D-tar Solstice preamp. My current set-up inlcludes a Fishman Full-Circle combined with an AMT Mic with low-z(150ohm) xlr output. I need a preamp with the rather unusual combination of 1 high-z (min. 1Mohm) and 1 low-z(150-600ohm) input. Before I got hold of the AMT I used a Crown condenser mic which my Raven Labs PMB handled very well, but it doesn't have enough gain/correct impedance to handle the AMT.
    By now I use ALTO 6-channel mixer with decent mic inputs, but this unit again don't have high-z inputs to match the Full Circle. Who said life is easy *S*

My question: Will the Solstice solve my problem? Does it have enough gain/correct impedance to handle low-z xlr input? Phantom power is not a must, that can be done by the AMT preamp.
    Anyone tried this at home, please chip in.

BTW, please don't recommend me to get the AMT super preamp. They cost $500 and upgrade is no longer done to ordinary preamps.

regards Oystein D. -Norway

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Your situation is not unlike my own. I currently use the AMT exclusively - I have the super preamp. I recently got a Full Circle but have not installed it yet. I also own an ALTO S-8 although I don't use it all that often. I currently use an LR Baggs MixPro and I'm very happy with it. It has two 10 MOhm inputs. It's very clean, not too expensive, and very small. Since I have the AMT super preamp, I can use the 1/4" output straight into the MixPro.

The Solstice would work for you and it has other benefits but here's some other things to consider:

Regarding the gain, are you aware that there is a trimpot inside the AMT preamp that lets you increase the gain?

You can get an inline transformer such as an Audio-Technica CP8201 and convert the AMT preamp XLR output to Hi-Z and then it should be fine for the Raven Labs.

Adrian