1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D-tuner and neck dive

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Truktek2, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Has anyone experienced neck dive after installing a hipshot d-tuner? I just installed one on a fender jazz, and while not extreme, the balance was definitely affected. I realize everything's a trade off and the tuner is a bit burly. Can anything be done? I can't get rid of it now, that low d makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. :')

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Had the same thing happen on my P bass. Didn't change it a lot, but did change the balance a little. I live with it.

One thing you could do is change the remaining tuners to ultralights.

3. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Good idea with the ultra lights. It must be worse with a pbass since I believe the bodies are actually lighter than a jazz.

4. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Body weights vary widely. Depends on the slab of wood used. So I wouldn't say that P Basses are lighter than Jazz Basses. Actually, my P Bass is a hefty one. :p

5. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Really? A few ounces made a difference? Shipping weight is 4oz...that's shipping weight not the weight minus the old tuner. That's the tuner plus the package (not the box). I find it hard to believe...but maybe I'm wrong.

6. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I completely understand your point, however, when I put a Hipshot D Tuner on my P bass, I actually did feel a shift in weight. As I said, it was minor and I just chose to live with it... but it is there.

7. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I remember trying one of those Fat Finger clamps back in the day on my headstock. Not only did I notice no improvement in tone or sustain, but I don't remember noticing any balance issues either. I may be more tolerant of weight shifts I suppose. I think I have that thing still. I'll try to find it and see if the balance shifts.

8. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    It also depends on how your instrument is currently balancing. If it's body heavy, there probably won't be much of a shift. But if it's totally neutral, then a slight shift towards the neck will be noticeable. For me, on this particular instrument, it was small, easy to deal with, but noticeable.

9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I guess you need a heavy high mass bridge to compensate.

If that doesn't work, hang a little mojo-bag off your strap button filled with a pound of lead shot.

10. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    4 oz times 34 inch scale=136 in/oz of torque! ;) kidding mostly, but it is noticible. Just enough to irk me. Good to know about the P. When I finally get around to getting one, it must be lighter than my jazz.

11. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I would, but it's been years since I've played heavy metal. :)

12. try moving your top strap lock ,had a Thunderbird bass that would bounce the head stock off the floor until i moved it

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Tie some helium balloons to the headstock. This works exceptionally well If you play light rock for weddings.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Exactly - after you figure in the weight difference from the old tuner, it can't be more than an ounce or two difference... I have them on 2 of my basses, and didn't notice any balance differences - I think it's in your imagination, OP...

- georgestrings

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    D-tuner and neck dive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm another reason I don't like de-tuners ...

Why not just tune to D standard DGCF?