1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Chromes vs La Bella Deep Talkin FM

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lovefist, Mar 17, 2010.

1. lovefist

lovefist

Mar 27, 2008
    So I have a set of D'addario Chromes (50-105) and a set of La Bella Deep Talkin flats FM (49-109?). I'm trying to decide which one to put on my Darryl Jones Skyline Lakland bass...any ideas? Also, what are some ways I can alleviate some of the tension that my neck is bound to go through?

2. You need to try both. They sound a bit different (Chromes a bit brighter, IMHO).

As for tension, that's what adjustable truss rods are for.

Let your fingers and ears make the decision.

3. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    the chromes feel tighter to me but i think the tension is actually higher on the labellas.

4. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    I keep wanting to try Chromes but my LDTF FMs are so nicely broken in, I can't bear taking them off... I'd be interested in your opinion of the two vs. each other, since I've heard Chromes have a distinctive (brighter) sound - while still being thumpy flats.

As for tension - My FM's have definitely dropped in tension after a couple years of beating on them #;>)

5. lovefist

lovefist

Mar 27, 2008
    I have a show next Sunday and I plan to have the Chromes on. Should be interesting, but I expect they will sound brighter then the Fender flats I had on for about a year.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    chromes are brighter. both tensions are very high. i felt that the FM tension was either equivalent or a little more.

ggvicviper likes this.
  7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    760FMs are thick, stiff, smooth cables that give great thump. If the FMs are too thick and stiff for you, you might prefer the FLs. I love FMs on my P basses.

The Chromes are not as smooth feeling under the fingers, and are quite brite (for flats) when new. After a few months of regular playing, the Chromes will mellow some, but never get to that pure thump of the LaBellas. The Chromes seem to be the perfect match for my Reverend JJ4.

8. I've not tried that particular Labella string, But I do like the Chromes on every bass I've tried 'em on. Perhaps it's just my preference but I had a set of 'Jamerson' Labella flats & I didn't like the 'fencing wire' feel of 'em. I obviously like a bit of 'give' in my flats, & I find the Chromes have this as well as a good old school thump, but also the abilty to sound great when slapped even- in an old sch. funk style tune

9. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    I can't speak to the Labella string pref. as I've never tried 'em. I love the D'Addario chromes/105-50. Great old school "note fundamental".The note decay (thud) isn't as quick as Fender flats, for example. If you think they're a tad bright when new, just roll off the edge w/ your bass passive tone. Remember they'll sound a bit brighter on a maple f.bd. than a r.wd. I like to experiment w/ thickness & width of real sponge or foam rubber to dampen under strings @ bridge.for when I want the extra "thump" that sits well w/the exquisite "P-Bass w/flats" sensibility. I think they have PERFECT tension, but you gotta lower the action compared to the rounds you're used to.(generally), for "feel". You can dig in & really make the notes "pop",or lay back & still have great tone. PS: Sadowsky has beauty flats in a 105-45,which are slightly less stiff, but have a nice growl if that appeals to you, & superb tonal balance. (lighter ga. also avail.) *See followup below.

Tigerpig likes this.
  10. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    Just a follow up that l feel is relevant to 1st time "CHROME 105-50" users. Get yourself a machinist scale marked in 32nds of an inch. TRY action ht.: 3/32" under the A over 12th F., a 64th up under E, a 64th dn. D, & 2/32" G (even slope). Keep your truss tweaked to MAINTAIN, if humidity is an issue. (this is VERY important for feel). This WORKS! Also adjust the pickup ht.to get tonal balance. I think you'll find it comfortable & still have the benefits of tension & extra tonal body on the D & G. Dig in pal.

Tigerpig likes this.
  11. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    2nd followup: Here's a little trick to make stiff flats playing easier.It may or may not work for you. Most players adjust their bass neck so the finger bd. is almost perfectly straight,(minimal relief). This means that the bridge saddles are relatively high to get the action you're after. If you allow more relief (a slight bow in the neck), you can now lower the saddles to get the same action.This brings the strings closer to the bass & makes it feel "easier". You have to experiment to see what works for the flats you use, & of course the bass itself plays a big part in the issue.

Tigerpig, onda'bass and cabcreaser like this.
  12. lovefist

lovefist

Mar 27, 2008
    I will put the chromes on after my show this week and have my thoughts on those strings compared to the fender strings I used for a year

13. lovefist

lovefist

Mar 27, 2008
    Well it has been a few hours since I got my bass back from a set up. The chromes are what I was expecting them to be, which is a solid flatwound string. However, they are bright and to me that is not a bad thing. I've noted that this is the first time I have used strings of this gauge, but the tension does not bother me yet (I own an upright). The notes seem to be more clear then my Fender flats and possibly as bright as some rounds I've used. Palm muting is nice, but I seem to be gravitating towards my front pickup for a strong fundamental.

Chris Chaney said "less clarity and more punch" and I would have to disagree right now since the strings are new. Clarity and punch with a bit of high. Also, the E string to me does not sound like a loose tone in any way. The E kinda feels like my TI strings on my Scheff bass, but all the strings match.

I'll get back to people when I play in a gig context.

14. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Play the snot out of them. Really. They break in beautifully..... but slowly. I've had mine on for 6 months now, and they're finally at the "absolutely beautiful spot" right now.

Here is what I dig about the chromes......
    They are very high and mid present when new. But when they are finally broken in, the highs die off a bit, the mids smooth out, and that starts to make the lows a bit more noticeable....... and the decay rate increases. The aggresiveness I bought them for (the '08 MIA P has the tamest P pup you ever heard) is still there, but they have smoothed out wonderfully.

Neither worn in labellas (sorry, not sure what gauge these are), or worn in TIJF's sounded this good on this particular bass.

15. chode

chode

Oct 12, 2019
    I can only really add to the conversation that I've had a pair of regular/light gauge Chromes on my fender P-bass for 3 years now and think they sound great. I've very briefly tried LaBellas but didn't have the patience to break them in I guess. And I briefly tried some GHS boomer roundwounds just to see how different they would sound on my P-bass for better or worse, just to see if I've been living in the dark ages with the Chromes. After a week or two I put the Chromes back on.

16. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The Chromes will very quickly fade to lifeless thump. Then you will love the fact that the La Bellas are neutral in tone, consistent across the board, and last almost forever.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020