1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Daddario Flex Steels... Are they Going Away?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheMaynorD, Apr 18, 2017.

1. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    So I tried ordering some 6 string bass flex steels and Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, and Bestbassgear all said they no longer carried them. I went to Daddario's online store and they were backordered. Is this a sign that they are not doing well on the market and are being pulled? I liked them but not enough to wait 1 month for backorder every time I need new strings. I have found a few on reverb, but if they are going away I'd like to switch over to different strings sooner than later. Any thoughts or recommendations? I play progressive rock/ metal on MM bongo 6 strings.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    These were discontinued a long time ago.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  3. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Well I guess I hopped aboard a sinking ship on that one.

4. If you liked the idea of Flex Steels for their flexible/supple feel, you might want to try the Dunlop Super Bright Steels. My son used to use Elixir Nanoweb on his Ibanez 5-string, but has switched over to the Dunlop SBs because of their supple feel and playing comfort.

Dunlop Super Bright Stainless Steel Bass Strings - 6 String Set

5. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Yeah and that is unfortunate because they really are unique. They feel roundcore but sound very aggressive in the mids for a stainless steel roundwound. Not sure what I will try once my stockpile runs out. The Prosteels are NOTHING like them.

eff-clef and BrentSimons like this.
  6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Dunlop Superbrights are pretty darn close. Having played both, they'd be a solid choice to stick with that.

Aidil likes this.
  7. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Yeah, I tried them when they first came out and had some serious quality issues with the nickelplated ones. Poor intonation on several strings that could not be adjusted in at all. As far as the Dunlop Super Bright steels, I just don't remember them having an aggressive sounding midrange.

BrentSimons and Aidil like this.
  8. TheMaynorD

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    So one of the issues I run into a lot with 6 string sets is that many of the high C strings are too thin at .30 for popping. Everytime I have tried a high.C under .32 I have snapped it within a few days of practicing. Some of that was my awful teenager slap technique but even still I generally dont go for sets eith high C strings below .32 for fear of breaking a string. Hence why i like daddarios.

9. I never felt the urge to try them , and am quite happy with Prosteels.

ccbass71 likes this.
  10. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    They are much different to my ears and fingers. Prosteels seem to be very deep and very bright with more balanced mids. Flexsteels have a lot more growly mids going on.

Aidil likes this.
  11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Still not sure whether they are realy realy going away... at least D'Addario still put the Flex Steels on their website, but yeah as Jason said, they're discontinued, maybe temporary, maybe for good that they're just waiting for the whole stocks around the world get consumed. Could be it's their sales that haven't been so good or as some said that D'Addario just want to focus on to their latest NYXL products.

Anyhow, I'm one of maybe a few who feel unfortunate about D'Addario decision ending the Flex Steels. I'm still using them on my main gigging bass for the last 8 months. Despite lately I've been using them quite intensively in studio rehearsals and few outdoor gigs, I say that they still sound good. Maybe my hands aren't the heavy sweaty kind of type.

I agree with other poster that the Flex Steels feel and sound different than the Pro Steels. Previously, Pro Steels and RotoSound Swing 66 Stainless Steels were my choices for stainles steel strings. I actually was having problems with the tension, the stiffness and also the roughness of the Swing 66 SS but continued to live with them for many years... then I discovered the Pro Steels... still with them I had to use the Super Light EPS220-5 set to tame with the tension and stiffness problems. The roughness were also there, given the fact that these are stainless steels, but much acceptable than the Swing 66 SS. Soundwise, the Flex Steels enable me to be heard better in live band mix situations.

And so I've also been thinking for the replacement when they eventually died. Dunlop Super Bright Steels (and some say that the Nickels version of the Super Bright are in par to replace any stainless steel strings) also came in mind, but I'm reading some of them were just too quick to die. The other that came in mind is the Dr Hi-Beams. But these are round core, so as flexible as they could, there must be differences when compared to the Flex Steels.

12. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Yeah, Hi Beams feel great but they don't have aggressive mids like the Flexsteels.

trothwell and Aidil like this.
  13. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    According to Don Dawson at D'Addario, these are indeed going away. He said the NYXL are a big seller and have a tension profile more similar to Flexsteels so that was part of the decision. I really wish this wasn't true because the NYXL sound and feel nothing like the Flexsteels either.

Adam Wright and Aidil like this.
  14. When I used to use stainless strings I would take 3/4" square small pieces of 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper and wrap them round the strings and rub them up and down lengthwise to reduce the roughness.

15. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I didn't know they were discontinued, they are my favorite string although I am a fan of the NYXLs. I'm a d'Addario guy I guess.

I just ordered two sets of Flex Steels on eBay after reading this.

16. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I am seriously bummed out about this. I use a set of light gauge Flex Steels on my Tobias Classic and they're absolutely the perfect string for that bass. In fact, the set I have on there is over two years old and they still sound great! (And I usually change strings on a bass every two months or so, depending on how often I play it.) I have one extra set, but now I think that I'll hold onto them when the time comes to change strings just in case I can't find anything else I like. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll last as long as the current set.

17. For those of you looking for roundwound with a bump in the mids and have tried Dunlop Super Brights, I'd suggest Marcus Miller signature Dunlop Super Brights. Aggressive mids and a similar feel to Roto 66s.

Aidil likes this.
  18. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    yeah I thought so too...

I read about that. But for me, the roughness of the Flex Steels (and also the Pro Steels) are forgivable. They indeed posses some degree of roughness, but they aren't as badly rough as the Swing 66 SS which I've used to use in the 80s / 90s.

BrentSimons likes this.
  19. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    are the MM Super Brights also flexible?

20. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    I haven't tried the MM to know if they are stiffer - I use the SBN and have tried the SS both which are flexible/easy on the hands.
    What lead me to I try the Dunlops after reading reviews.

On a side note - The QC issues seemed to have been cleared up.
    I had issues over the first 6-8mos they were out. Received replacements + extra sets - w/o any issues.
    Have purchased sets since w/o any issues over the least year. Haven't looked back since.

Aidil likes this.