Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

D'addario hybreds

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by legodud, Jan 6, 2006.

1. legodud

legodud

Jan 6, 2006
    i've heard these are the strings to get, should i get light, med, heavy?
    whats the cheapest price, i got $96 on amazon?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi.
    Concord Music sells them for $96.45
    SouthWest Strings sells them for $97.75
    Shar Music sells the Orchestral set for $93.41 but the Hybrids and Pizzicatos for $103.50. Go figure!
    Bob's House of Basses says to call for a quote on the set (toll free 1 888 289 9877), while the individual strings prices sum up to $96.
    Bob is a great guy; I'd call him first.

3. daHammer

daHammer

Oct 25, 2005
    New York, NY
    I got a new NS Design CRM5 for Xmas (oops--for the holidays) and followed the usual advice to replace the stock NS Design (D'Addario made) strings with Helicore Hybrids. I did and, for me at least (and for Francois too I gather), they sucked. :meh: So, be sure you don't like the stock strings, or do take some of the other advice given on the TB Forum before spending your money.

Ed (daHammer) White

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    helicore hybrid lover here, mediums. i've had nothing but compliments on my tone. to each his own, i suppose. one thing to remember no matter what you decide to get, it takes a bit of playing for upright strings to break in.
    cheers
    doug

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    The light hybrids have been my favorite so far for my BugBass. They did take awhile to settle in, but are very easy to play and the E sounds nicer than Spirocore Weichs. I think Azola has settled on this string for their EUBs.

6. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Yes, but I don't know which gauge they put on though.
    I also don't know if they use the normal lenght or special order shorter ones from D'Addario, like they did for the LaBellas in the beginning.

7. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    You're correct, Francois. The Azola site hasn't actually mentioned these details. I should probably check with them.

OTOH, the ones I'm using work for me and they're certainly better than those original Labellas with the banjo-like tone.

8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    :)
    There were special light gauge, shorter lenght RC610's.