Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

d'addario

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rbrown13, Jan 19, 2006.

1. rbrown13

rbrown13 supporting member

Sep 9, 2005
    bakersfield ca,
    wow! If you folks haven't tried the d'addario half rounds, I highly recommend them, thet have the tone of a round wound but the feel of a flat, I put a set on my mm sterling and man these strings sing, I think this is my new favorite string, you should try'em.

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have them and dont like them at all.
    To me they dont sound much like a round (at least not like the XL's)
    I had hoped they would but only had them on a couple of days. sounded to dull for me.
    they may sound bright when you first put hem on but after just one gig they sounded dull. not had that trouble with any of my rounds (niks not SS)

Dave.

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Do you work for D'Addario?

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ray-man
    i was thinking that as well...sounds like something off the D'addario website (no offence rbrown)

Dave.

5. +1
    I used them on my thumb5. They sounded great for a day, then the sound turned to junk. Dead sounding, but very smooth still;)

6. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Tryed them, don't like them. No color, no thud. Rounds have color, Flats have thud. Halfs are suppose to be a combo of both but thet do neither good. I rather use Chromes.

7. Easy with the boldness.:D

8. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I rather use Chromes!
    Is this better? :D :p

9. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Chromes are D'addrois flatwound strings. I used them for a while they sound good i was perfectly happy with exept i broke an A string after like a couple months

10. Tried them a couple times on different basses. Don't like tham at all.

Touted to be between a flat and a round but not true at all. Never sounds like a round, and after a day or so the little bit of zing is gone.

Don't really sound like a good sounding flat either and when some dirt gets between the winding, oh well now it's muddy.

My solution was to get rounds when I wanted that sound and flats when I wanted that.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

I like the half-rounds a lot. I used them to smooth out an over the top bright bass. That one has plenty of zing bassed on the BA II and 1 pc Swamp Ash construction. The feel of the string is nice and tonally they carry more fundamental than an XL (or my choice in round, the TI Super Alloy). True they don't carry the thud of a Chrome (generally my choice in a flat) but I didn't build that bass for that kind of tone. For that I've got a J with chomes... Stands to reason to me that my bass being pretty bright and an MM would both be good candidates for the half-round when you're looking to smooth some of that out.

Nothing wrong with the half rounds at all. If it's not your sound, well, you wouldn't expect that Chris Squire and Duck Dunn would be using the same string, eh ? Different strokes.

Basically, it isn't the string alone. it's the bass, the string and your expectations...

12. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've used halfs and i liked them a lot. Of course I'm that kind of guy that uses flats in a punk band. I got the halfs to add some more bite for that stuff. Maybe it's the DBer in me but halfs are really about as birght as like to get.

13. rbrown13

rbrown13 supporting member

Sep 9, 2005
    bakersfield ca,
    wow!, no I don't work for d'addario, I'm just a bass player, and in my 17+ years of playing I've never tried half rounds, and I love the way they sound, just so you guys know, sound is subjective, It depends on the instrument, the amp, and the settings as well as the type of music you play, but I guess it's just my novice uneducated ear! It's just one guys opinion, and you know what opinions are like, don't you?