1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DAMN IT!!! UPS GUY JUST DROPPED A GUITAR

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by electracoyote, Jan 19, 2012.

1. ...from shoulder height, in the middle of the road.

The douche was talking on his cell phone, so he one-hands it up onto his shoulder, and as he's crossing the street toward my front porch, it slips and falls about 5.5 feet from shoulder height to the pavement below.

Fortunately it was packed very well and sustained no damage that I can see.

But FERCRISESAKE THAT IS A PISSER!

I met him halfway up my driveway, gave him the hairy eyeball, and said, "Dude, you gotta be more gentle with my packages. There's something relatively fragile in there."

I sent an e-mail to UPS customer service. That's not the first time I've seen a UPS driver gabbing into his cell phone while trying to simultaneously do his job with one hand.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    What kind of guitar?

3. A six-string electric.

4. He was trying to do you a favor. Break guitar so customer will play bass more!

See he was just a member of TB loking out for you!

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've had nothing but bad experiences with UPS so I can't say I'm surprised to hear about this. The last package I got from them was so beaten up it was a miracle the contents weren't damaged.

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    If you read the fine print they tell you to pack it to survive a 10' drop.

caveat emptor

7. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    My ups driver jokes about the ups stress test for packages. Take your package and let it roll down some stairs. If it survives, you're all good.

8. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    he wasn't delivering a guitar, he was delivering a package.
    the UPS guy doesn't know (or care) what's in the box.

good thing it was packed well - as everything always should be when shipped.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    WHATS IN THE BOOOX????!!!!

Perhaps, electra, the head of a UPS driver on a stake by the curb will make them think twice about how the handle your packages.

10. Awesome idea!

And in acquiring heads, I'll start with the guy who delivered my guitar today. :) (just kidding).

11. Really? That's a new one on me.

Suddenly those egg-survival exersizes my kids do in school, where they have to package an egg and throw it off the roof and land without breaking, are starting to make more sense.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    There are only 4 certainties in life: Death, Taxes, Threads About UPS Abuse & Threads about Guitar Center

:D

13. Oh, I think there are a few more certainties than that here on TB :D

14. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I'm in Canada and have 300+ transactions with Canada Post and USPS...why anyone would use UPS or Fedex to save 5 bucks is beyond me.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Bummer deal, good thing it's OK. I've never seen a delivery person drop a box or package being brought to my door. I have had a couple bad shipping experiences that come to mind, one was the shippers fault. The other the carrier.

-Mike

16. Hi.

I'm a pretty easygoing guy, but I can imagine what would've happened if that was done in front of me.

Glad to hear the guitar was OK even after that mishandling.

Regards
    Sam

17. I just got the following reply from UPS Customer Service:

"Thank you for your e-mail. I have forwarded your concerns to the local package center for further assistance. You can expect a call by the end of the business day on 01/20/12.

I apologize that the driver did not handle your package properly."

I will be calm, objective, and diplomatic when I talk to them, but they need to hold their drivers accountable. Considering the unwanted attention rough package handling is giving them, and the damning YouTube videos, they need to do something to patch up their reputation.

Maybe if more of us called or wrote e-mails and complained, these guys would stop being such cavemen with our stuff.

18. A couple of months ago, I caught the UPS guy throwing a package over my gate. Thankfully, the item being shipped was packaged inside of it's original shipping box, which was then packaged in a larger box with lots of peanuts. Still, throwing a relatively large package over a gate is unacceptable.

Furthermore, the other day, I received a package that shipped through UPS. I found it on the ground about 6 feet from my gate, and since it was a bit too large to have slid under the gate, that must have meant it was thrown. This was a rather delicate item, but it was packaged fairly well, and did not suffer any damage.

19. I have a feeling the people at UPS admin are not fully aware of how common this is. There is no way they can be aware of this and not do something to correct it.

I encourage anyone who has been the victim of rough, abusive UPS package handling to make a formal complaint as I have. It only takes a minute to write and send an e-mail. This is bull, and I have a feeling too many people just accept it as normal. This is not like back in the day when USPS was your only choice. Now UPS is one of many, so they had better tighten it up or lose their grip on their share of the domestic ground shipping market.