Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DanElectro Minis

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by murdermilk, Feb 15, 2004.

1. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    First off, my first post. Hi.

Second, I did a search, and I found a thread from a while ago that kind of answered one of my questions, but I'm still curious.

First question: My Big Muff is out of commision right now, and since I waited 2 months to send in a warranty card I should've sent in 2 months ago, I have to wait for EH to get the card, then I call them, then I ship the Muff, then I have to wait for them to ship it back. Basically, I want to get a cheap replacement while I'm waiting for the Muff to be fixed (haven't even sent it yet), and I want to get something that'll still sound good enough that I can use it occassionally. What I'm wondering is how do the Danelectro minis sound on a bass? Specifically the distortion pedals? I'm thinking of seeing how a cheapo dist -> chorus -> Muff might sound, so I'll probably be using this even after the Muff is back from EH if it's a distortion.

Other question: How is the mini amp? I look on http://music123.com , and it lists the mini amp as a bass effect. Does this mean my big mean bass won't blow the tiny speakers? Anyone else have experience? Also, if I get this, will the distortion cut too much low end off a bass, or should I still buy another distortion witht his one?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1) Welcome
    2) Sorry, no experience with Dano products...
    3) What's wrong with your Big Muff? I could probably fix it up quicker than EHX... depending on the problem.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That little mini amp will not handle bass well. It's a combination mini-amp and distortion. Running it into another amp would work, but that little speaker won't do jack for bass. I reccomend a used boss odb-3. You can find them floting around here. GREAT mean bass ditortion. Gives guitars a REALLY bottom heavy tone. If you're into that, that is.

4. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    tplyons: I was swapping the battery (after spending a small fortune on recharbable batteries), and the solders connecting the wires to the clip came loose. It's a Ruskie, so I can't just plug in an AC and run with it. I managed to open it up and get it to work again pretty well until I could take it to my friend's house and re-solder it, but then, the next day, my ad hoc repairs came loose. I opened it up again, and I think I broke something in the circuit board that time. Now the LED works, but it's more of a killswitch than anything else.

tmo: I'm really seriously considering trying to nab an Ibanez Phat Hed next time I'm not a poor student/next gift-giving season, but the Boss is a nice little unit.

5. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    Sorry to bump from page 2.

Well, tomorrow is the day I'm supposed to call EHX and see if they want to fix my Muff. I'm probably not getting it back from far away New York for about a month, and I'm seriously missing distortion. I've never been pedal crazy. I got by with just a light chorus for a pretty long time, and now I'm suddenly in love with fuzz right when it goes away.

I've been searcing a lot on here for threads on distortion (and I think I missed the beginning DoD craze), but I've narrowed my next pedal down to either an Ibanez Phat Hed or a DoD 250 reissue. Any ideas on the DoD? I thought it sounded great on a guitar on the Musicians Friend demo, and the sound was pretty bassy to me, which was a good sign.

I would just go to my local Guitar Center and try one, but it's about as far away as you can get without needing to call the ride a "road trip," so I want to have a pretty good idea of what animals I'll be wrestling with when I get to the store because I'm really far too lazy to make the trip a second time.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The DOD IMO is amazing, I have two at the moment...you can have either if you want, I've got 'em listed over in GFS. They're semi-transparent, bassy, and just an all-around great tone.

7. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    Thanks. They're pretty cheap, so it won't send me back much. I'll make the trek to GC this weekend and see what they've got for me.